From: cr8222 on
I've been trying to diagnose a problem with windows server 2003. The update
although saying installed via Windows update, keeps wanting to install again
and again.

Looking at the log for this the following is present which i believe could
be the cause. Has anyone experienced this before and could you advise on a
fix? Thanks

DoInstallation: FetchSourceURL for
c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download\*etc*\update\update_SP2GDR.inf failed

GetCatVersion: Failed to retrieve version information from
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot\etc\KB******.cat with error 0x57
From: MowGreen on
cr8222 wrote:
> I've been trying to diagnose a problem with windows server 2003. The update
> although saying installed via Windows update, keeps wanting to install again
> and again.
>
> Looking at the log for this the following is present which i believe could
> be the cause. Has anyone experienced this before and could you advise on a
> fix? Thanks
>
> DoInstallation: FetchSourceURL for
> c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download\*etc*\update\update_SP2GDR.inf failed
>
> GetCatVersion: Failed to retrieve version information from
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot\etc\KB******.cat with error 0x57

Who/when/what created these superfluous etc subfolders ?

c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download\*etc*\

C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot\etc\

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten