From: John W. Vinson on
On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 20:34:15 -0800, "Jan :\)" <abuse(a)localhost.invalid> wrote:

Yes, as the amount of information needed is small the data is in one table,
wth separate queries for each field, such as Provider, Location, RxName,
RxType, etc. which is used for the combo boxes. The entry form is used to
enter the data into the table. In the past year my dad has had several
fill-in providers as his primary provider of many years has been out on
medical disability. Thus, there have been new provider names for updates of
some of his existing prescriptions, new prescriptions, new procedures that
have been done, etc, so data in these areas have changed fairly often. Last
week he saw a new provider who renewed several of his prescriptions and
ordered new ones. When I entered his name in the Provider control along with
the rest of the information, then saved the record, the new name did not
appear in the combo box list for Provider with the next entry. The same for
other cb's such as location and RxType, etc. So, I had to re-enter that
information.

I don't know why your newsreader doesn't linewrap, but it sure makes it hard
to reply!!!!

The amount of data is one factor but it's *ALMOST IRRELEVANT*.

You should have a different table for each Entitytype. A Provider is a
real-life person, an Entity; you should have a table of Providers. When you
need to add a provider, you can use the NotInList event of a combo box, or
popup a Provider form.

The same applies to Locations, RxNames, etc.

You have not said what you're using as the RowSources of these combo boxes.
Are they value lists? lookup tables? Select Distinct from your main table? or
what?
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Jan :) on

"John W. Vinson" <jvinson(a)STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote in message news:rhhfm5h0vs0hhrc7m061991g5u9qkcqt6m(a)4ax.com...
> On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 20:34:15 -0800, "Jan :\)" <abuse(a)localhost.invalid> wrote:
>
> Yes, as the amount of information needed is small the data is in one table,
> wth separate queries for each field, such as Provider, Location, RxName,
> RxType, etc. which is used for the combo boxes. The entry form is used to
> enter the data into the table. In the past year my dad has had several
> fill-in providers as his primary provider of many years has been out on
> medical disability. Thus, there have been new provider names for updates of
> some of his existing prescriptions, new prescriptions, new procedures that
> have been done, etc, so data in these areas have changed fairly often. Last
> week he saw a new provider who renewed several of his prescriptions and
> ordered new ones. When I entered his name in the Provider control along with
> the rest of the information, then saved the record, the new name did not
> appear in the combo box list for Provider with the next entry. The same for
> other cb's such as location and RxType, etc. So, I had to re-enter that
> information.
>

> I don't know why your newsreader doesn't linewrap, but it sure makes it hard
> to reply!!!!

Don't know either..all wraps fine here. Using Windows Mail in Vista.

> The amount of data is one factor but it's *ALMOST IRRELEVANT*.
>
> You should have a different table for each Entitytype. A Provider is a
> real-life person, an Entity; you should have a table of Providers. When you
> need to add a provider, you can use the NotInList event of a combo box, or
> popup a Provider form.
>
> The same applies to Locations, RxNames, etc.

Thanks John.

> You have not said what you're using as the RowSources of these combo boxes.
> Are they value lists? lookup tables? Select Distinct from your main table? or
> what?

RowSource is Select Distinct, such as:
SELECT DISTINCT tblMeds.Provider
FROM tblMeds;

Jan :)

From: John W. Vinson on
On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 07:07:57 -0800, "Jan :\)" <abuse(a)localhost.invalid> wrote:

>> You have not said what you're using as the RowSources of these combo boxes.
>> Are they value lists? lookup tables? Select Distinct from your main table? or
>> what?
>
>RowSource is Select Distinct, such as:
>SELECT DISTINCT tblMeds.Provider
>FROM tblMeds;

In that case just requery each Combo Box individually in the Form's
AfterUpdate or Current event. Overkill and will usually waste time but it'll
work.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Jan :) on

"John W. Vinson" <jvinson(a)STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote in message news:vkpgm5pt5qc1130iqukkvtouulqb7m4or5(a)4ax.com...
> On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 07:07:57 -0800, "Jan :\)" <abuse(a)localhost.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> You have not said what you're using as the RowSources of these combo boxes.
>>> Are they value lists? lookup tables? Select Distinct from your main table? or
>>> what?
>>
>>RowSource is Select Distinct, such as:
>>SELECT DISTINCT tblMeds.Provider
>>FROM tblMeds;
>
> In that case just requery each Combo Box individually in the Form's
> AfterUpdate or Current event. Overkill and will usually waste time but it'll
> work.

Thanks, John. I appreciate your time and help.

Jan :)

From: John W. Vinson on
On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 11:06:32 -0800, "Jan :\)" <abuse(a)localhost.invalid> wrote:

>>>RowSource is Select Distinct, such as:
>>>SELECT DISTINCT tblMeds.Provider
>>>FROM tblMeds;
>>
>> In that case just requery each Combo Box individually in the Form's
>> AfterUpdate or Current event. Overkill and will usually waste time but it'll
>> work.
>
>Thanks, John. I appreciate your time and help.
>
>Jan :)

You're welcome. It's great to see your smiling face!
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]