From: Gale Green on

Hi all.

I've been reading on the MS web site till my eyes crossed and I've not
found the info that I need.

I have VS 2008, although I use only VB. If I upgrade to 2010 will my
existing apps build OK or will they require change?

Thanks for any guidance.

Gale.
From: Armin Zingler on
Am 21.04.2010 11:21, schrieb Gale Green:
> I've been reading on the MS web site till my eyes crossed and I've not
> found the info that I need.
>
> I have VS 2008, although I use only VB. If I upgrade to 2010 will my
> existing apps build OK or will they require change?

AFAIK, the projects will be upgraded and not usable anymore
in VB 2008 afterwards. They should run like in VB 2008 with few
exceptions mentioned in your VB product documentation.

"Visual Basic 2010 Breaking Changes":
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc714070.aspx

--
Armin
From: Family Tree Mike on

"Gale Green" wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I've been reading on the MS web site till my eyes crossed and I've not
> found the info that I need.
>
> I have VS 2008, although I use only VB. If I upgrade to 2010 will my
> existing apps build OK or will they require change?
>
> Thanks for any guidance.
>
> Gale.
> .

There is a conversion process for the solution files from VS 2005 or VS 2008
to VS 2010. I have not seen it modify the code files in these cases. The
project is converted to a VS 2010 project (or solution) and optionally backed
up prior to conversion. My recollection is that the new project in VS 2010
still refers to the previously set .net version, so the converted project
does not target the new .Net 4.0 framework.

Mike
From: Cor Ligthert[MVP] on
Normally they wont require changes (be aware as long as you use framework
3.5)

You cannot use framework 4.0 if you have used the
Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatible.VB6 namespace) the latter is normally only
if you have automatically converted from VB6.

If they run Ok?, View the link from Armin.

From: Gale Green on
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 13:07:34 +0200, Armin Zingler
<az.nospam(a)freenet.de> wrote:

Thanks to all who replied, and thanks for the link Armin. It doesn't
seem that I will fall foul of anything much (if at all).

Gale.