From: Daniel Jameson on
Hi,

In our SharePoint portal (2007) we upload a document with the same name as
an existing document (e.g.: MyDocument.doc) and it adds it to the revision
history for that document.

I upgraded MyDocument.doc to MyDocument.docx and uploaded it to our
SharePoint portal. It saved it as a new file instead of adding it the
history of the existing document.

Is there anyway to tell SharePoint to make MyDocument.docx a new revision of
MyDocument.doc? It really is the same document, just a new version. That
will be a problem if organizations loose there document history every time
they upgrade from doc to docx. Also, in the Document Library, you end up
with two items with the same name but different histories.

--
Thank you,

Daniel Jameson
SQL Server DBA
Children's Oncology Group
www.childrensoncologygroup.org

From: rafe on
On Jan 13, 4:01 pm, "Daniel Jameson"
<no_djameson_s...(a)childrensoncologygroup.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In our SharePoint portal (2007) we upload a document with the same name as
> an existing document (e.g.: MyDocument.doc) and it adds it to the revision
> history for that document.
>
> I upgraded MyDocument.doc to MyDocument.docx and uploaded it to our
> SharePoint portal.  It saved it as a new file instead of adding it the
> history of the existing document.
>
> Is there anyway to tell SharePoint to make MyDocument.docx a new revision of
> MyDocument.doc?  It really is the same document, just a new version.  That
> will be a problem if organizations loose there document history every time
> they upgrade from doc to docx.  Also, in the Document Library, you end up
> with two items with the same name but different histories.
>
> --
> Thank you,
>
> Daniel Jameson
> SQL Server DBA
> Children's Oncology Groupwww.childrensoncologygroup.org

I am having the same issue, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rafe