From: Tom McCreadie on
I'm a happy user of Paid Mode Eudora 7.0.0.16, who woke up from
hibernation a year ago <g> to realize that Eudora had long since moved
on to 7.1.0.9. Apparently I'd let too long elapse since my 7.0.0.16
install, for the only 7.1.0.9 I could locate seemed to be end-of-life
abandonware. I tried to install that latest version, but it did not
accept my old 7.0.0.16 registration nr. Finding no mechanism to get (or
pay for) a new reg. nr. from Qualcomm, I just restored the old version
and let things lie fallow...till now.

I see that generous, public-spirited souls have posted Eudora
password/reg. nrs. in this NG. Is that now my only resort if I want to
get to 7.1.0.9 this late in the game? And is that route legitimate, or
at least condoned by Qualcomm, now that Eudora is abandoned? I prefer
everything correct and above board..

Maybe the small gains from this upgrade aren't worth the hassle, anyway,
and I should just let sleeping dogs lie?. Finally, I read somewhere that
there were two issues of 7.1.0.9: a fuller initial version and a later
version that was leaner?

Thanks,
Tom
From: John H Meyers on
On 7/23/2010 6:55 AM, Tom McCreadie wrote:

> I'm a happy user of Paid Mode Eudora 7.0.0.16

> 7.1.0.9 did not accept my old 7.0.0.16 registration

See:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows/msg/e099e7a7092b6811

> I read somewhere that there were two [releases] of 7.1.0.9,
> a fuller initial version and a later version that was leaner?

Install 7.1 without uninstalling 7.0,
or else save a copy of application (program) file "x1lib.dll"
(the "Indexed Search" special feature), which is the single object
no longer created by today's 7.1 installer from Qualcomm
(you will also find no more trace of 7.0 from Qualcomm).

Here's why:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows/msg/36d43920d1588ab7

P.S. -- Don't take candy (or "warez") from strangers.
In fact, merely visiting various "warez" sites may be compared
to driving through a street gang's neighborhood,
letting the latest exploits take shots at your computer,
through the thin glass of your web browser.

From: Tom McCreadie on
John - thanks for the useful info. I have since installed 7.1.0.9 on top
of my old 7.0.0.16 and everything is running fine and dandy, with the
X1lib.dll and all my settings retained. I should really have just done
all this years ago.

Sadi and Noxion - thanks also for the input, but before your reassuring
follow-up posts came in, I'd already wimped out and installed using the
Penn State license info that John alluded to. (with 50000 students, I
could seek anonymity and safety in nunbers <g>)

Tom