From: cellist on
I'm running windows/xp sp3 and IE6 6.0.2900.5512. I'm considering upgrading
to IE8, primarily due to security concerns.

1. Will my computer truly be more secure with ie8 than with ie6? I keep up
to date on all MS updates.
2. Does ie8 run on windows/xp?
3. I'm already memory-constrained. Will that be even more of a problem with
ie8?
4. I'm already processor-constrained: intel 2.something pentium. Will that
be even more of a problem with ie8.
5. Will I be able to revert to ie6 if I install ie8 and find it unacceptable?

TIA,

Phil
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Yes, Yes, Shouldn't be, No, Yes.

Those with IE7- and/or IE8-specific questions or comments can post to and
seek support in IE General newsgroup:

On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

From: cellist on
Thank you.

From: 20100208 on
My answers are posted "inline".

cellist wrote:

> 1. Will my computer truly be more secure with ie8 than with ie6? I keep up
> to date on all MS updates.

I doubt it. M$ has been sending us updates for the past 10 years for XP
and still it is not secure. So the answer is NO.

> 2. Does ie8 run on windows/xp?

YES

> 3. I'm already memory-constrained. Will that be even more of a problem with
> ie8?

Most probaly but if you have 512 MB of RAM then you should be OK unless
you use lots of applications at the same time.

> 4. I'm already processor-constrained: intel 2.something pentium. Will that
> be even more of a problem with ie8.

YES. Minimum is P III.
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/support/system-requirements.aspx>

From: Kyler_IE8_Team on
I personally recommend upgrading to IE8 because of the speed, security and
compatibility improvements of IE8 over previous versions. It is possible to
revert back to older versions so it's not like you are taking a major risk.
With Compatibility Mode able to display sites as they would in earlier
versions, along with a lot of other new features, there isn't much reason to
hold back.

Hope that helps,
Kyler
IE8 Outreach Team