From: Peter on
On 08/02/2010 05:22 AM, admin(a)home wrote:
> Hello,
> I have an older Pentium 4 motherboard that has been acting up and can only
> run with one memory module installed. I want to buy a newer more reliable
> motherboard but am wondering about swapping over the Hard Drive with Windows
> XP Pro w/ SP3 on it. I understand that the newer and different brand MB will
> require newer / different drivers . Can I just set it up in the CMOS
> settings for the HD and boot up or will I need to do a reinstall / boot of
> the WinXP CD to get the correct drivers loaded and all or will it bomb out
> anyways. I have a host of apps and all that I don't want to mess with
> reloading. Thanks in advance for any help

It will take less time to bite the bullet and reinstall XP and all your
programs.

--
Peter
From: Paul on
Patok wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>>
>> And WinXP still needed to be activated, but it didn't require a phone
>> call. It worked via the Internet. Some other people have been stuck in
>> situations, where activation was a problem. (Or they couldn't even
>> get the new system to the point, that they could do anything with it,
>> due to some kind of activation issue.) But I was lucky, and connecting
>> over the Internet was enough.
>
> What is this "activation" you're talking about? When does it happen?
> Maybe I misremember or don't pay attention. I've done a bit of WinXP
> reinstalls, and don't remember any activations, over the phone or over
> the internet. I just enter the product key when it asks, and that's
> that. You don't mean the "Genuine Advantage" validation that happens
> online, I hope.

I don't remember the exact stream of events. (It's not like I'm doing
this every day. I've only changed motherboards the one time on this
copy of WinXP.)

If I can remember any more details, I'll post back.

Paul
From: Mark Adams on

"Patok" wrote:

> Paul wrote:
> >
> > And WinXP still needed to be activated, but it didn't require a phone
> > call. It worked via the Internet. Some other people have been stuck in
> > situations, where activation was a problem. (Or they couldn't even
> > get the new system to the point, that they could do anything with it,
> > due to some kind of activation issue.) But I was lucky, and connecting
> > over the Internet was enough.
>
> What is this "activation" you're talking about? When does it happen?
> Maybe I misremember or don't pay attention. I've done a bit of WinXP
> reinstalls, and don't remember any activations, over the phone or over
> the internet. I just enter the product key when it asks, and that's
> that. You don't mean the "Genuine Advantage" validation that happens
> online, I hope.

See the following KB article for a description of product activation:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

If you have done "reinstalls" from a recovery partition or a recovery disk;
these are pre-activated and you won't be required to do so. Activation will
be required for a reinstall from an install disk. note that an "install disk"
and a "recovery disk" are not the same thing.

Windows keeps track of the hardware changes you make to your computer.
Different components have differing scores toward activation. Change enough
stuff and Windows will require reactivation. A motherboard change is a
guaranteed reactivation. If it's been more than 120 days since you last
activated, it'll activate just fine over the internet. If it doesn't
activate, you will be given a phone number to call for phone activation.

No. Activation is not the same as WGA.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892130

From: Patok on
Mark Adams wrote:

> "Patok" wrote:
>
>> Paul wrote:
>>> And WinXP still needed to be activated, but it didn't require a phone
>>> call. It worked via the Internet. Some other people have been stuck in
>>> situations, where activation was a problem. (Or they couldn't even
>>> get the new system to the point, that they could do anything with it,
>>> due to some kind of activation issue.) But I was lucky, and connecting
>>> over the Internet was enough.
>> What is this "activation" you're talking about? When does it happen?
>> Maybe I misremember or don't pay attention. I've done a bit of WinXP
>> reinstalls, and don't remember any activations, over the phone or over
>> the internet. I just enter the product key when it asks, and that's
>> that. You don't mean the "Genuine Advantage" validation that happens
>> online, I hope.
>

> See the following KB article for a description of product activation:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890
>
> If you have done "reinstalls" from a recovery partition or a recovery disk;
> these are pre-activated and you won't be required to do so. Activation will
> be required for a reinstall from an install disk. note that an "install disk"
> and a "recovery disk" are not the same thing.

Oh, OK, thanks, the link explains it. As far as I remember, I've
never installed or reinstalled XP from a retail disk. It has always been
from either the OEM disks that came with the computers, or from an
educational volume license agreement disk. The article says these are
pre-activated. In addition, I don't think I've ever done a hardware
change on an installed system large enough to require re-activation,
even if it was a retail XP, so I don't know what would happen in that case.

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 04:18:08 -0400, Patok <crazy.div.patok(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

> What is this "activation" you're talking about? When does it happen?
> Maybe I misremember or don't pay attention. I've done a bit of WinXP
> reinstalls, and don't remember any activations, over the phone or over
> the internet. I just enter the product key when it asks, and that's
> that.

"That's that" are exactly the right words. Yes, that's what entering
the product key is--activation.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup