From: philo on
On 08/01/2010 10:22 PM, admin(a)home wrote:
> Hello,
> I have an older Pentium 4 motherboard that has been acting up and can only
> run with one memory module installed. I want to buy a newer more reliable
> motherboard but am wondering about swapping over the Hard Drive with Windows
> XP Pro w/ SP3 on it. I understand that the newer and different brand MB will
> require newer / different drivers . Can I just set it up in the CMOS
> settings for the HD and boot up or will I need to do a reinstall / boot of
> the WinXP CD to get the correct drivers loaded and all or will it bomb out
> anyways. I have a host of apps and all that I don't want to mess with
> reloading. Thanks in advance for any help

I've done such many times

you will need to perform a 'repair install'

plenty of info on Google

btw: be sure to back up all your data first

Though a repair install usually works. there is of course no guarantee

From: Paul on
Paul wrote:
> Patok wrote:
>> Paul wrote:
>>>
>>> And WinXP still needed to be activated, but it didn't require a phone
>>> call. It worked via the Internet. Some other people have been stuck in
>>> situations, where activation was a problem. (Or they couldn't even
>>> get the new system to the point, that they could do anything with it,
>>> due to some kind of activation issue.) But I was lucky, and connecting
>>> over the Internet was enough.
>>
>> What is this "activation" you're talking about? When does it happen?
>> Maybe I misremember or don't pay attention. I've done a bit of WinXP
>> reinstalls, and don't remember any activations, over the phone or over
>> the internet. I just enter the product key when it asks, and that's
>> that. You don't mean the "Genuine Advantage" validation that happens
>> online, I hope.
>>

> I don't remember the exact stream of events. (It's not like I'm doing
> this every day. I've only changed motherboards the one time on this
> copy of WinXP.)
>
> If I can remember any more details, I'll post back.
>
> Paul

OK, I found a means to reproduce the experience, of a major hardware
change.

I pulled my current WinXP partition ahd hard drive, into VirtualPC 2007,
using the disk2vhd program from sysinternals.com . I'd tried another
method to do it, and it was taking hours of hacking to get anywhere.
The disk2vhd program made this process easy. And the tick box, to
solve the HAL issue, is excellence in design (icing on the cake).
The HAL issue is caused by my current computer being dual core,
while VirtualPC 2007 emulates a uniprocessor. This program puts
the correct options in boot.ini, to fix it.

Disk2vhd v1.62
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Disk2vhd Microsoft
Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
/KERNEL=ntkrpuni.exe /HAL=halacpi.dll

When WinXP starts up for the first time, inside the VirtualPC 2007
environment, this is the message it prints on the screen. This is
what I saw, when I changed out my motherboard months ago. It's a
72 hour warning.

"Since Windows was first activated on this computer, the hardware on
the computer has changed significantly. Due to these changes, Windows
must be reactivated within 3 days. Do you want to reactivate Windows now?"

Of course, I didn't click the button. I only needed to see that message,
as proof I hadn't been seeing things.

Now, when I activated, it worked over the Internet and no phone call
was needed. I have heard of people getting stuck when that happens,
where the install is basically frozen, and they can't advance to a
point to click any buttons etc. So it doesn't always work out that well.

Paul
From: Doum on
=?Utf-8?B?YWRtaW5AaG9tZQ==?= <admin(a)home@discussions.microsoft.com>
�crivait news:19EBB813-C19E-4EDB-921F-F86CC470A5B8(a)microsoft.com:

> Hello,
> I have an older Pentium 4 motherboard that has been acting up and can
> only run with one memory module installed. I want to buy a newer more
> reliable motherboard but am wondering about swapping over the Hard
> Drive with Windows XP Pro w/ SP3 on it. I understand that the newer
> and different brand MB will require newer / different drivers . Can I
> just set it up in the CMOS settings for the HD and boot up or will I
> need to do a reinstall / boot of the WinXP CD to get the correct
> drivers loaded and all or will it bomb out anyways. I have a host of
> apps and all that I don't want to mess with reloading. Thanks in
> advance for any help

To add to what others said, I did this recently and after the repair
install I was stuck because Windows wouldn't start before being activated.
After some search, I discovered the "sysprep" command to be used from the
recovery console which restored the activation process like a new
installation, ie : Windows starts and gives me 30 days to activate. This
whole thing was a little confusing, but it finally worked.

So, do a search on "sysprep" before proceeding.

HTH