From: tim292stro on
My Dad upgraded his machine to Win-7 ultimate this past weekend, and after
much struggling with the "easy transfer" he now has a perfect brick of a
computer and not much of his data remains.

I had done a backup for him a while back and after re-installing Win-7 and
reinstalling office 2007, then setting up the primary email account and
importing his PST file(s), outlook complained about the file permissions for
the PST. Unfortunately, now that the new PST was deleted and the older pst
was set as the primary PST file, I can't even load Outlook on his machine to
change anything. Everytime I load it says it doesn't have permission to open
the PST file and immediately closes.

If I change the directory or file name of the PST file, it complains that it
can't find the file, asks me to find it for it - then closes once I don't
give it the file.

I'm getting tired of reinstalling the software only to find that it doesn't
work.

Two questions:

1) How do I get the PST file to work correctly? Why is it complaining about
PST file permissions after using "easy" transfer?

2) How do I unset the defualt use account in Outlook so that I can
reconfigure it?

I've done desktop support for a large law-firm before, so I know my way
around Outlook - I'm used to having a right-click option on the Outlook icon
that will let me configure accounts without running the full outlook GUI -
this is missing on this install, and in this case it is also "missed".

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Tim
From: DL on
Well 'easy transfer' causes problems, and you used the incorrect method of
connecting your old data; all of which have been detailed here many times.
Copy your original data file to Documents (do not create that data file by
export, simply copy the original)
Create a new Outlook profile, add the copied data file, add the accounts &
test)
(Use the mail applet in the Control Panel, if necessary to create the new
profile, and set it as default)

From: Gordon on

"tim292stro" <tim292stro(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Dad upgraded his machine to Win-7 ultimate this past weekend, and after
> much struggling with the "easy transfer" he now has a perfect brick of a
> computer and not much of his data remains.

So no CURRENT backup then? An expensive lesson for the future. ALWAYS, when
mucking around with the OS, BACKUP critical data. PCs have been around now
for over 25 years and STILL people haven't got the message about backing up!