From: Andrea on
I'm using Office 2007 with Windows XP, SP3. Whenever I close an Outlook
email with an attachment, I get a message telling me that "The attachments
of the message "xxxxx" have been changed. Do you want to save changes to
this message?" I get this even if I haven't changed the attachment. Is there
a way to disable this annoying feature?

From: Duncan McC on
In article <#cF2sMr2KHA.5212(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
andreawkNOSPAM(a)NOSPAMcox.net says...

> I'm using Office 2007 with Windows XP, SP3. Whenever I close an Outlook
> email with an attachment, I get a message telling me that "The attachments
> of the message "xxxxx" have been changed. Do you want to save changes to
> this message?" I get this even if I haven't changed the attachment. Is there
> a way to disable this annoying feature?

You *have* changed the attachment - you've opened it :)

OK... well, Outlook doesn't know what you've done to the opened
attachment, it *does* know you've opened it. Hence the "safety" prompt.

Someone else may know if there is a way of disabling the prompt, I
don't.

--
Duncan.
From: Andrea on
Duncan McC wrote:
> In article <#cF2sMr2KHA.5212(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
> andreawkNOSPAM(a)NOSPAMcox.net says...
>>
>> I'm using Office 2007 with Windows XP, SP3. Whenever I close an
>> Outlook email with an attachment, I get a message telling me that
>> "The attachments of the message "xxxxx" have been changed. Do you
>> want to save changes to this message?" I get this even if I haven't
>> changed the attachment. Is there a way to disable this annoying
>> feature?
>
> You *have* changed the attachment - you've opened it :)
>
> OK... well, Outlook doesn't know what you've done to the opened
> attachment, it *does* know you've opened it. Hence the "safety"
> prompt.
>
> Someone else may know if there is a way of disabling the prompt, I
> don't.

I guess I don't consider opening a document changing it, and I never got
this message in Office 2003. What I need is a way to disable this as a
default. Can anyone help?

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Andrea" <andreawkNOSPAM(a)NOSPAMcox.net> wrote in message

> I guess I don't consider opening a document changing it, and I never got
> this message in Office 2003. What I need is a way to disable this as a
> default. Can anyone help?

Are you opening the attachment from the Reading Pane or from an open message?
Does the behavior change if you try the alternate?

There's no option in Outlook that controls this. It happens in Outlook 2003
as well.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Andrea on
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
> "Andrea" <andreawkNOSPAM(a)NOSPAMcox.net> wrote in message
>
>> I guess I don't consider opening a document changing it, and I never
>> got this message in Office 2003. What I need is a way to disable
>> this as a default. Can anyone help?
>
> Are you opening the attachment from the Reading Pane or from an open
> message? Does the behavior change if you try the alternate?
>
> There's no option in Outlook that controls this. It happens in
> Outlook 2003 as well.

I don't use the reading pane, but I just tried it, and it doesn't make any
difference. The behavior's the same. I don't remember having this happen
with Outlook 2003. Does it happen to everyone or is there some combination
of settings that makes it do this?