From: Vinay Kannan on
Hello,

I am currently using php version 5.1.6 and now m thinking of upgrading, i
got php installed long time back using WAMP, i wanted to know if theres an
easy way to upgrade directly, without having to remove this version, i also
have a good number of databases, and it would be a pain, if i am required to
uninstall the current version of wamp and then reinstall the newer version.

Thanks,
Vinay Kannan.
From: David McGlone on
On Friday 05 March 2010 12:35:43 Vinay Kannan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently using php version 5.1.6 and now m thinking of upgrading, i
> got php installed long time back using WAMP, i wanted to know if theres an
> easy way to upgrade directly, without having to remove this version, i also
> have a good number of databases, and it would be a pain, if i am required
> to uninstall the current version of wamp and then reinstall the newer
> version.

I am not experienced at all with WAMP, because I've always used LAMP, but I'd
suspect that WAMP works like LAMP and uninstalling PHP will not remove any
MySQL tables.

--
Blessings
David M.
From: kesavan trichy rengarajan on
Well, you can always backup your databases through phpMyAdmin (export) or
from commandline using mysqldump just to be on the safer side.

From: Lester Caine on
Vinay Kannan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently using php version 5.1.6 and now m thinking of upgrading, i
> got php installed long time back using WAMP, i wanted to know if theres an
> easy way to upgrade directly, without having to remove this version, i also
> have a good number of databases, and it would be a pain, if i am required to
> uninstall the current version of wamp and then reinstall the newer version.

There is no problem installing a new copy of PHP into it's own directory, and
then changing your Apache httpd.conf to point to the new copy. Nothing else is
affected by this, and it should be possible to switch between versions of PHP
simply by restoring the old copy of httpd.conf.

The only thing to watch out for is where your php.ini file is being stored.
httpd.conf an supply a location for this, but many WAMP setups simply use a copy
in the c:\windows directory. If this is the case, then it is worth adding a
PHPINIDir to the new httpd.conf pointing to a copy of php.ini in your new copy
of PHP.

http://php.net/manual/en/install.windows.apache2.php

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL