From: Metspitzer on
I have a friend. He is trying to get an Ethernet adapter to work with
his old machine. He says that he has 98 but he needs 98 second
version. I assume that means SP2 for 98.

The computer works "fine" with AOL, but he wants to use broadband. Is
there a way I could download SP2 and put it on a CD for him? I assume
that it would take days to upgrade using dial up.
From: Paul on
Metspitzer wrote:
> I have a friend. He is trying to get an Ethernet adapter to work with
> his old machine. He says that he has 98 but he needs 98 second
> version. I assume that means SP2 for 98.
>
> The computer works "fine" with AOL, but he wants to use broadband. Is
> there a way I could download SP2 and put it on a CD for him? I assume
> that it would take days to upgrade using dial up.

98SE is a commercial product, which you purchase. I know, because
I purchases 98SE as an upgrade package for my 98 original machine.
98SE is not a Service Pack, although in retrospect that is what
it resembles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/98SE#Windows_98_Second_Edition

"Windows 98 SE could be obtained as retail upgrade and full version
packages, as well as OEM and a Second Edition Updates Disc for existing
Windows 98 users."

And I can't remember why exactly I purchased it. Looking at the feature
list, nothing really stands out.

HTH,
Paul
From: Jan Alter on

"Metspitzer" <kilowatt(a)charter.net> wrote in message
>I have a friend. He is trying to get an Ethernet adapter to work with
> his old machine. He says that he has 98 but he needs 98 second
> version. I assume that means SP2 for 98.
>
> The computer works "fine" with AOL, but he wants to use broadband. Is
> there a way I could download SP2 and put it on a CD for him? I assume
> that it would take days to upgrade using dial up.

What your friend is looking for is Windows 98SE.
It is not a download that can be found from the Microsoft website and
patched to the original Windows 98 but a later version of Windows 98.
Generally speaking it had much greater functionality and versatility than
the original Windows 98. If you can get a hold of it one can install it and
upgrade Windows 98 to Windows 98SE. If you know of any computer friends
who've been in it for awhile they may be able to help you locate a copy.

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf(a)verizon.net

From: "nobody >" on
Paul wrote:
> Metspitzer wrote:
>> I have a friend. He is trying to get an Ethernet adapter to work with
>> his old machine. He says that he has 98 but he needs 98 second
>> version. I assume that means SP2 for 98.
>>
>> The computer works "fine" with AOL, but he wants to use broadband. Is
>> there a way I could download SP2 and put it on a CD for him? I assume
>> that it would take days to upgrade using dial up.

For the OP:
It's probable that the Ethernet adapter (NIC) doesn't have driver(s) for
Win 98/98SE. Both 98/98SE use the same NIC drivers.

Probably the safest choice would be to use a different Ethernet adapter
(NIC). From my own experience, the most trouble-free one is the
Intel 10/100 PCI Network Adapter. It's possible to find "new" ones on
eBay, but any second-hand computer parts place (recyclers, etc) will
have bins of them, often for $1.

The basic driver package (all you need for broadband use)is available at
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=38&DwnldID=4235&agr=Y

(http://snipurl.com/twsn4 [downloadcenter_intel_com])
(Warning; the page says 98SE, but I know it works with "plain" 98)
But... if I recall correctly, there's a MS driver that works on the
install disk.

Regarding AOL:
Google "remove AOL". It's possible that AOL's kludgey "software" may
have interfered with your friend's computers "communications systems" to
the point that Ethernet won't work. I do remember that AOL's stuff broke
the "Winsock"/Ip Protocol Stack quite often.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winsock

> 98SE is a commercial product, which you purchase. I know, because
> I purchases 98SE as an upgrade package for my 98 original machine.
> 98SE is not a Service Pack, although in retrospect that is what
> it resembles.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/98SE#Windows_98_Second_Edition
>
> "Windows 98 SE could be obtained as retail upgrade and full version
> packages, as well as OEM and a Second Edition Updates Disc for existing
> Windows 98 users."
>
> And I can't remember why exactly I purchased it. Looking at the feature
> list, nothing really stands out.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

For Paul and the OP:
Yes, 98SE was mostly a "service pack" for 98, but there wasn't really
that much really wrong with "plain" 98. There was so much hardware
progress at that time that made 98SE more friendly with the newer stuff
at the time, so it was more of a "massive driver layer update"

I did the full-blown "tech beta" on both 98 and 98SE, BTDT, even got a
Memphis (M$ codename for 98)T-shirt.

At this point in time, it probably doesn't matter much whether you have
98 or 98SE if the hardware and software works .

As an aside, the absolute *fastest* Windows ever made was the beta
builds of "plain" 98 just before M$ decided to "integrate" Internet
Exploder.

From: Peter on
In article <kIudnTQhhrD8UafWnZ2dnUVZ_jCdnZ2d(a)supernews.com>,
usenetharvested(a)aol.com says...
> Paul wrote:
>

> For Paul and the OP:
> Yes, 98SE was mostly a "service pack" for 98, but there wasn't really
> that much really wrong with "plain" 98. There was so much hardware
> progress at that time that made 98SE more friendly with the newer stuff
> at the time, so it was more of a "massive driver layer update"
>
> I did the full-blown "tech beta" on both 98 and 98SE, BTDT, even got a
> Memphis (M$ codename for 98)T-shirt.
>
> At this point in time, it probably doesn't matter much whether you have
> 98 or 98SE if the hardware and software works .

Wasn't USB practically unworkable with win98? However, no USB device
these days is going to provide 98 drivers so even the SE version isn't
going to fair any better.

--
Pete Ives