From: Jock McSquiggle on
My Scenario: PC (Dell C521) infected with malware and I have just clean
installed XP SP2 onto it.
I now want to upgrade this to Vista Basic from an upgrade disc shipped by
Dell with the original PC.
Question: Should I download all XP updates post SP2 before performing the
upgrade or should I upgrade immediately using Vista upgrade disc, and then
download all Vista updates since the Vista disc was shipped (Jan 2007). Is
this a case of 6 of one or half a dozen off the other??
Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.
--
O++++++++++++&++++++++++++O
From: Patrick Keenan on
"Jock McSquiggle" <JockMcSquiggle(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:853B349D-54F7-469D-A5C9-331BE1CC18DB(a)microsoft.com...
> My Scenario: PC (Dell C521) infected with malware and I have just clean
> installed XP SP2 onto it.
> I now want to upgrade this to Vista Basic from an upgrade disc shipped by
> Dell with the original PC.
> Question: Should I download all XP updates post SP2 before performing the
> upgrade

Why would you bother to do that, when you are about to replace the OS?

> or should I upgrade immediately using Vista upgrade disc, and then
> download all Vista updates since the Vista disc was shipped (Jan 2007). Is
> this a case of 6 of one or half a dozen off the other??
> Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Start with backing up your data, then run the Upgrade Advisor and follow all
of its recommendations.

Then proceed with the upgrade and then get updates.

HTH
-pk

From: Kevin on
You can perform a clean install of Vista basic using the dell upgrade CD.
There is no need to do anything with your infected system.

I suggest just insert the vista basic CD in the drive, reboot the system and
follow the onscreen instructions. You will get the option of performing clean
install and this option has also been carried forward to Windows Se7en.

Installing an OS is time consuming and bound to frustrate you if you also want
to install other applications and related updates.

Kevin Brunt