From: John on
Here is where we are at right now....

Going from server/exchange 2000 to server 2003 and exchange 2007. Have
exchange 2007 installed and running. Able to move accounts from server 2000
to server 2003 by setting up trust between the .local(2000) and the
..org(2003).

On the 2007, setup test mail accounts and are able to send/receive mail
between mail accounts on 2007. Can't send or receive mail from an outside
source.

What steps must be done, configuration, etc to send and receive mail from
the 2007 so we can test the server while exchange 2000 is still working? Is
the fact that the .local (server/exchagne 2000) is configured to send/receive
mail from the same domain mycompany.org causing an issue with 2007 and it's
inability to access outside mail?

TIA
John
From: Oliver Moazzezi [MVP] on
From your brief description below, you describe your 2000 Org still
recieving mail for your domain.

Your best bet here would be to move all maiboxes off Exchange 2000, and then
reconfigure your router to deliver all incoming mail to your Exchange 2007
HT (if you've split the roles).

If you see yourself keeping the Exchange 2000 Org for a while (due to lack
of resources/support to actually move all mailboxes, or other issues) you
will have to set the domain to be non-authoritative on both the Exchange
2000 and Exchange 2003/2007 Orgs. Mail can still come inbound to your 2000
implementation and any moved mailboxes (as long as no other object owns the
SMTP addresss) will be forwarded to your 2003/2007 Org.

Oliver

From: John on
That is exaclty what we would like to do is move the mailboxes off the old
Exchange 2000 server and shut her down and have our mail spam filter directed
to our new Exchange 2007. However with this error we can't even get one test
mailbox to move from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2007 to make sure the process
will work before we do a mass move over.

During our testing we have figured out how to use the get-mailbox and
move-mailbox cmdlet together, but are receiving an error -1073281717 "Error
occurred in the step: Approving object. The specified domain either does not
exist or could not be contacted." What does this error mean? Which domain,
the source or target?

TIA
John