From: Dennis Bayne on
Since 2005 I have been using Windows Small Business Server 2003, 32 bit as my single domain controller. Some recent applications are memory hogs and I'd like to increase my RAM to the max allowed by my hardware (12 GB). I understand that SBS 2003 32 bit will recognise only 3.5 GB of RAM, so I'm considering migrating to the 64 bit version of the OS. Does it require a 64 bit hardware architecture (which I don't have). If not, what other issues might I run into??

Thanks for your help.

The Old Rock

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
From: SteveB on
SBS 2008 is 64 bit so is that what you're wanting to migrate too? Yes it
would require 64 bit hardware.

Steve

From: Dennis Bayne on
Thanks Steve, You gave me the answer I was expecting, but didn't want to hear. I will probably go to the SBS 2008 OS & all the hardware/software migration issues that will come with it.
Dennis

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs/Upgrading-to-SBS-2003-64-Bit
From: Leythos on
In article <OhoS4tuFLHA.4120(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, user(a)msgroups.net/
says...

> Since 2005 I have been using Windows Small Business Server 2003, 32 bit as my single domain controller. Some recent applications are memory hogs and I'd like to increase my RAM to the max allowed by my hardware (12 GB). I understand that SBS 2003 32 bit will recognise only 3.5 GB of RAM, so I'm considering migrating to the 64 bit version of the OS. Does it require a 64 bit hardware architecture (which I don't have). If not, what other issues might I run into??
>
> Thanks for your help.

Yes, you would be upgrading to SBS 2008 and it requires quality 64 bit
hardware as well as, what many would suggest, 8GB RAM just for itself.
If you're adding other services you need to make sure you account for
their memory needs and that they also support 64bit as well as the
server 2008 platform.

I've run into a number of external apps that need to be installed on the
server that claim to be server 2008 or x64 compatible, but they aren't -
best to test before you make the leap.

Trust yourself.
From: Russ (SBITS.Biz) [SBS-MVP] on
In addition to the others here is some other information you might find
usefull on SBS2008

Differences between SBS2003R2 and SBS2008
http://www.sbits.biz/Differences_between_SBS2003_and_SBS2008.htm

SBS2008 Standard Features
http://www.sbits.biz/Windows_Small_Business_Server_2008_Guide.htm

SBS2008 Demo:
http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/demos.aspx

Download SBS2008 Trial:
http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/trial-software.aspx

Recommended Books:
Windows� Small Business Server 2008 Administrator's Companion
http://www.amazon.com/Windows%C2%AE-Business-Server-Administrators-Companion/dp/0735620709/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241297332&sr=1-3

And OR

Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/0672329573/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217269967&sr=8-1

Russ

--
Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]