From: Sumit on
Hi...

I have tasks with task type as fixed duration.

While importing data for assignments for that task I notice that the
DURATION gets AUTOMATICALLY changed in 2 cases:-

1) When I am importing actual effort for assignment
or
2) When I import actual start date for that assignment( assignment doesn't
have actual finish date as of now).

I am not able to find the logic why MSP is doing that.

Any help or insight into the behavior is really appreciated!!

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

--
--Sumit
From: JulieS on
Hello Sumit,

You may see duration getting changed if you moved the task (Actual
Start) into a period of time where the resource assigned had
non-working time. You also don't note how you are importing the
actual work (effort). If you are importing actual timephased work,
the duration will alter to correspond to the spread of the actual
work you are importing.

It's tough to tell the specifics of "why" without further
information.

I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along.

Julie
Project MVP

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
information about Microsoft Project

From: Trevor Rabey on
What do you mean by "actual effort"?
Do you mean Work in Hours (as in "man-hours")?

When you say "actual start date for that assignment", do you mean Actual
Start of the Task?
--
Trevor Rabey
0407213955

From: Jan De Messemaeker on
Hi,

When a task is 100% complete it seems to lose its property of fixed duration
and automatically revert to Fixed Units: modifying Actual Work changes
duration, not units.
Pity.

--
Jan De Messemaeker
Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional

From: Sumit on
Yes,

By actual effort I mean Work in Hours

By actual start date for that assignment i do not mean actual dates for task.
I meant actual dates of Resources that are assigned to a particular tasks.

Any insight why MSP is changing duration automatically would be really
helpful.
--
--Sumit