From: Slaz on
Using a HP laptop with Windows XP SP3. I have a wireless modem. The
laptop using it's own built in wireless adapter connects fine.
I have a USB wireless adapter that I us on the laptop when I'm away from
home. ( mostly in summer when I'm RVing as I can attach an external
antenna to it ). Just these past few days I've built a bigger and better
antenna. When I tried to us the adapter; with it's original antenna (
not the new one ); it would connect to my wireless modem and shows an
excellent signal and link quality; however; I can not connect to the
internet. I tried the same wireless adapter on my desktop and it does
work. So it does work; just not on my Laptop. Data encryption is via WEP
and I did put in the right password as I'm showing a IP address and a
Subnet Mask address. I did turn of my Virus program and my firewall with
negative results. Me thinks I've changed something somewhere on my
laptop and it is preventing this wireless adapter from communicating
with the internet.

Any suggestions?
From: Lem on
Slaz wrote:
> Using a HP laptop with Windows XP SP3. I have a wireless modem. The
> laptop using it's own built in wireless adapter connects fine.
> I have a USB wireless adapter that I us on the laptop when I'm away from
> home. ( mostly in summer when I'm RVing as I can attach an external
> antenna to it ). Just these past few days I've built a bigger and better
> antenna. When I tried to us the adapter; with it's original antenna (
> not the new one ); it would connect to my wireless modem and shows an
> excellent signal and link quality; however; I can not connect to the
> internet. I tried the same wireless adapter on my desktop and it does
> work. So it does work; just not on my Laptop. Data encryption is via WEP
> and I did put in the right password as I'm showing a . I did turn of my Virus program and my firewall with
> negative results. Me thinks I've changed something somewhere on my
> laptop and it is preventing this wireless adapter from communicating
> with the internet.
>
> Any suggestions?

*What* IP address and Subnet Mask do you get?

Most likely, you mis-entered the WEP key (you really should be using
WPA2 or WPA).

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: Slaz on
Lem wrote:
> Slaz wrote:
>> Using a HP laptop with Windows XP SP3. I have a wireless modem. The
>> laptop using it's own built in wireless adapter connects fine.
>> I have a USB wireless adapter that I us on the laptop when I'm away
>> from home. ( mostly in summer when I'm RVing as I can attach an
>> external antenna to it ). Just these past few days I've built a bigger
>> and better antenna. When I tried to us the adapter; with it's original
>> antenna ( not the new one ); it would connect to my wireless modem and
>> shows an excellent signal and link quality; however; I can not connect
>> to the internet. I tried the same wireless adapter on my desktop and
>> it does work. So it does work; just not on my Laptop. Data encryption
>> is via WEP and I did put in the right password as I'm showing a . I
>> did turn of my Virus program and my firewall with negative results. Me
>> thinks I've changed something somewhere on my laptop and it is
>> preventing this wireless adapter from communicating with the internet.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> *What* IP address and Subnet Mask do you get?
>
> Most likely, you mis-entered the WEP key (you really should be using
> WPA2 or WPA).

Getting a IP address of 192.168.254.6 and a subnet of 255.255.255.0
I have the right password as I went in and changed it to a "wrong"
password and I wouldn't get a Ip address or subnet. When I changed it
back to the right password; the Ip and subnet addresses came up.
From: Lem on
Slaz wrote:
> Lem wrote:
>> Slaz wrote:
>>> Using a HP laptop with Windows XP SP3. I have a wireless modem. The
>>> laptop using it's own built in wireless adapter connects fine.
>>> I have a USB wireless adapter that I us on the laptop when I'm away
>>> from home. ( mostly in summer when I'm RVing as I can attach an
>>> external antenna to it ). Just these past few days I've built a bigger
>>> and better antenna. When I tried to us the adapter; with it's original
>>> antenna ( not the new one ); it would connect to my wireless modem and
>>> shows an excellent signal and link quality; however; I can not connect
>>> to the internet. I tried the same wireless adapter on my desktop and
>>> it does work. So it does work; just not on my Laptop. Data encryption
>>> is via WEP and I did put in the right password as I'm showing a . I
>>> did turn of my Virus program and my firewall with negative results. Me
>>> thinks I've changed something somewhere on my laptop and it is
>>> preventing this wireless adapter from communicating with the internet.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> *What* IP address and Subnet Mask do you get?
>>
>> Most likely, you mis-entered the WEP key (you really should be using
>> WPA2 or WPA).
>>
> Getting a IP address of 192.168.254.6 and a subnet of 255.255.255.0
> I have the right password as I went in and changed it to a "wrong"
> password and I wouldn't get a Ip address or subnet. When I changed it
> back to the right password; the Ip and subnet addresses came up.

I apologize. You are authenticating to the wireless router.

Perhaps when you originally configured your router you enabled
additional security features. For example, some routers can be set to
deny Internet access to specific computers, either by assigned IP
address or MAC address. Also, depending on how you turned off your
firewall, you may not have disabled it for the USB adapter (each network
connection is firewalled separately; check in "Network Connections").
--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
Did you disabled any other Network card while you are using the USB?
If Not, then try to right click on them and Disable.
As far as Firewall goes, sometime Disabling it is Not enough, make sure that
the Firewall Trusted zone covers the subnets that you are using.
http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#trusted
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).