From: JF Mezei on
Vincent Parry wrote:

> Could I just copy the iTunes library folder over to the laptop? Or is
> there some protection scheme that will prevent that?

I am not sure about Mac to Windows copy. Between 2 macs, this will work.
You are better off copying the source library to a different folkder on
the target machine, and then telling Itunes the new location of the
library (that new folder).

If a raw copy doesn't work because Windows-Itunes is not 100%
compatible, then you should be able to "import library" from the windows
computer, importing the Mac folders.

Once this is done, you can "sync" the two libraries by connecting them
via the lan, and then using the options at bottom to copy any music on
the remote itunes but not on the local one.
From: Wes Groleau on
On 08-01-2010 14:12, Richard Maine wrote:
> The only thing I'm really unsure of is the bit about copying from OS X
> to Windows. I've got some copies of Windows around (including 2 separate
> ones on this Mac), but I don't use iTunes on them. The question would
> not be of copy protection, but rather of whether all the details of the
> library formats are the same. It might be safer to copy just the music
> and then let iTunes rebuild the library (as it can do).

They are not. However, the only difference is the name of one file.
I don't have the memory of the exact filename, nor the time now to
look it up, but I have reported it in this newsgroup or in
comp.sys.mac.apps within the past year. For a friend, I moved his
daughter's iTunes library from his Mac to her new Windows machine,
and it worked as soons as I renamed that file. Windows iTunes needed
a three-letter extension on the filename.

Disclaimer: There have been at least two iTunes updates since then.
It could have changed, though probably not. However, it would be
wise to ensure that both iTunes programs are the latest version
before trying to copy/move a library.

--
Wes Groleau

Film Review: The Blue Butterfly
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/russell?itemid=1565
From: Vincent Parry on
On 8/1/10 10:01 AM, Vincent Parry wrote:
> I have my music collection (mostly imported CDs) in iTunes on my iMac. I
> also want it on my Windows laptop so I can play the music when I travel.
>
> I know I can set up a library sharing for use at home on when on my home
> network. But I want an independent installation for use when I'm not on
> my home network.
>
> Could I just copy the iTunes library folder over to the laptop? Or is
> there some protection scheme that will prevent that?

Thanks for all the advice-- I'll give it a shot!