From: Vincent Parry on
I have my music collection (mostly imported CDs) in iTunes on my iMac.
I also want it on my Windows laptop so I can play the music when I travel.

I know I can set up a library sharing for use at home on when on my home
network. But I want an independent installation for use when I'm not on
my home network.

Could I just copy the iTunes library folder over to the laptop? Or is
there some protection scheme that will prevent that?
From: Philo D on
In article <i33uo7$o7j$1(a)news.albasani.net>, Vincent Parry
<vince(a)darkpassage.net> wrote:

> I have my music collection (mostly imported CDs) in iTunes on my iMac.
> I also want it on my Windows laptop so I can play the music when I travel.
>
> I know I can set up a library sharing for use at home on when on my home
> network. But I want an independent installation for use when I'm not on
> my home network.
>
> Could I just copy the iTunes library folder over to the laptop? Or is
> there some protection scheme that will prevent that?

You would have to authorize the second computer too. But that is
allowed.
From: Richard Maine on
Philo D <doozy(a)earthling.net.invalid> wrote:

> In article <i33uo7$o7j$1(a)news.albasani.net>, Vincent Parry
> <vince(a)darkpassage.net> wrote:
>
> > I have my music collection (mostly imported CDs) in iTunes on my iMac.
> > I also want it on my Windows laptop so I can play the music when I travel.
> >
> > I know I can set up a library sharing for use at home on when on my home
> > network. But I want an independent installation for use when I'm not on
> > my home network.
> >
> > Could I just copy the iTunes library folder over to the laptop? Or is
> > there some protection scheme that will prevent that?
>
> You would have to authorize the second computer too. But that is
> allowed.

That would be relevant only for DRM-protected music purchased from the
iTunes store. For music imported from CDs (like much of my collection),
you don't need any authorization. I don't think you need it for most
recent iTunes store purchases either, but I haven't really tested that
as I still have a few older DRM-protected things that never got updated,
so I routinely authorize all the computers I want a copy on.

The only thing I'm really unsure of is the bit about copying from OS X
to Windows. I've got some copies of Windows around (including 2 separate
ones on this Mac), but I don't use iTunes on them. The question would
not be of copy protection, but rather of whether all the details of the
library formats are the same. It might be safer to copy just the music
and then let iTunes rebuild the library (as it can do).

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
From: Vincent Parry on
On 8/1/10 1:54 PM, Philo D wrote:
> In article<i33uo7$o7j$1(a)news.albasani.net>, Vincent Parry
> <vince(a)darkpassage.net> wrote:
>
>> I have my music collection (mostly imported CDs) in iTunes on my iMac.
>> I also want it on my Windows laptop so I can play the music when I travel.
>>
>> I know I can set up a library sharing for use at home on when on my home
>> network. But I want an independent installation for use when I'm not on
>> my home network.
>>
>> Could I just copy the iTunes library folder over to the laptop? Or is
>> there some protection scheme that will prevent that?
>
> You would have to authorize the second computer too. But that is
> allowed.

Yes, I did authorize it-- but I'm not sure where to go from here to get
the music over to the laptop.
From: AES on
In article <i34nd3$vd2$1(a)news.albasani.net>,
Vincent Parry <vince(a)darkpassage.net> wrote:

> Yes, I did authorize it-- but I'm not sure where to go from here to get
> the music over to the laptop.

I let others give you the detailed directions (I'm known to have a
pathological hatred of iTunes). But you have to start by recognizing
that the iTunes library file or folder on your HD is _not_ a library at
all; it's just a catalog. The actual music is elsewhere. (Apple's
insistence on muddying this point is one of the minor reasons
why I dislike iTunes so much.)