From: tnom on
On Mon, 10 May 2010 23:50:54 -0700, Bob Williams
<mytbobnospam(a)cox.net> wrote:

>My ISP (COX.net) has notified me that on June 30, 2010, they will
>discontinue usenet service.........Bummer!
>What newsgroup service do you guys suggest I subscribe to?
>I want to obtain not only regular newsgroups such as this one but also
>BINARY newsgroups (groups that transmit text AND images?)
>I live in Southern California USA.
>Bob Williams

You get what you pay for. Free Usenet servers can be useful but
they don't compare to a paid service. Giganews can't be beat if
you don't mind the monthly bill.
From: Bob Williams on
tnom(a)mucks.net wrote:
> On Mon, 10 May 2010 23:50:54 -0700, Bob Williams
> <mytbobnospam(a)cox.net> wrote:
>
>> My ISP (COX.net) has notified me that on June 30, 2010, they will
>> discontinue usenet service.........Bummer!
>> What newsgroup service do you guys suggest I subscribe to?
>> I want to obtain not only regular newsgroups such as this one but also
>> BINARY newsgroups (groups that transmit text AND images?)
>> I live in Southern California USA.
>> Bob Williams
>
> You get what you pay for. Free Usenet servers can be useful but
> they don't compare to a paid service. Giganews can't be beat if
> you don't mind the monthly bill.

COX.net, my ISP suggested Giganews but they are the most expensive
usenet server on the planet (29.99 / Mo. for their premium plan.)!!!
They do have some less expensive plans for more casual users like me
Anybody here use (or know about) Giganews' PEARL or JADE Plans?
Bob
From: tony cooper on
On Wed, 12 May 2010 16:49:35 -0700, Bob Williams
<mytbobnospam(a)cox.net> wrote:

>tnom(a)mucks.net wrote:
>> On Mon, 10 May 2010 23:50:54 -0700, Bob Williams
>> <mytbobnospam(a)cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>> My ISP (COX.net) has notified me that on June 30, 2010, they will
>>> discontinue usenet service.........Bummer!
>>> What newsgroup service do you guys suggest I subscribe to?
>>> I want to obtain not only regular newsgroups such as this one but also
>>> BINARY newsgroups (groups that transmit text AND images?)
>>> I live in Southern California USA.
>>> Bob Williams
>>
>> You get what you pay for. Free Usenet servers can be useful but
>> they don't compare to a paid service. Giganews can't be beat if
>> you don't mind the monthly bill.
>

>COX.net, my ISP suggested Giganews but they are the most expensive
>usenet server on the planet (29.99 / Mo. for their premium plan.)!!!
>They do have some less expensive plans for more casual users like me
>Anybody here use (or know about) Giganews' PEARL or JADE Plans?
>Bob

Good Lord! $30 a month to read this? I use
http://news.individual.net/ and have for years. It's about $12 a
year. Never had a problem with it. Not once.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Bob Williams on
tony cooper wrote:
> On Wed, 12 May 2010 16:49:35 -0700, Bob Williams
> <mytbobnospam(a)cox.net> wrote:
>
>> tnom(a)mucks.net wrote:

>>> You get what you pay for. Free Usenet servers can be useful but
>>> they don't compare to a paid service. Giganews can't be beat if
>>> you don't mind the monthly bill.
>>
>> COX.net, my ISP suggested Giganews but they are the most expensive
>> usenet server on the planet (29.99 / Mo. for their premium plan.)!!!
>> They do have some less expensive plans for more casual users like me
>> Anybody here use (or know about) Giganews' PEARL or JADE Plans?
>> Bob
>
> Good Lord! $30 a month to read this? I use
> http://news.individual.net/ and have for years. It's about $12 a
> year. Never had a problem with it. Not once.

The price is right .....BUT.....It does not support BINARY groups. :-(
From: Bob Williams on
Savageduck wrote:
> On 2010-05-12 20:50:50 -0700, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net>
> said:
>
>> On Wed, 12 May 2010 16:49:35 -0700, Bob Williams
>> <mytbobnospam(a)cox.net> wrote:

>>> COX.net, my ISP suggested Giganews but they are the most expensive
>>> usenet server on the planet (29.99 / Mo. for their premium plan.)!!!
>>> They do have some less expensive plans for more casual users like me
>>> Anybody here use (or know about) Giganews' PEARL or JADE Plans?
>>> Bob
>>
>> Good Lord! $30 a month to read this? I use
>> http://news.individual.net/ and have for years. It's about $12 a
>> year. Never had a problem with it. Not once.
>
> My cable provider Charter, is Usenet thin. So I use panic.com, the
> software company which produces Unison, the Mac only Usenet client. They
> have an arrangement with another usenet provider and charge $9/month.
> They have good retention and binary service.
> I have no problem using panic with other clients such as Thunderbird, or
> MT-NW.

I have a PC and use SeaMonkey (all-in-one Browser / Mail server).
SM is based on Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird.
So I suspect that if Panic.com works with TB, it will work with SM too.
Thanks.............Bob