From: Jolly Roger on
In article <1jlf07d.jxjppfu8r81iN%mikePOST(a)TOGROUPmacconsult.com>,
mikePOST(a)TOGROUPmacconsult.com (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

> The Wolf <elvisp(a)compuserve.com> wrote:
>
> > An account no longer shows up in the login window or sys pref accounts?
> >
> > The folder is still there under root/users how do I recreated the account?
>
> Set up the account again, using the identical long and short names as
> you previously had. You should then get a message saying that a home
> folder already exists for that account and asking if you want to use it.
> Say okay.

What about the UID? Might have to fiddle with that as well, right?

JR
From: Mike Rosenberg on
Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:

> > > An account no longer shows up in the login window or sys pref accounts?
> > >
> > > The folder is still there under root/users how do I recreated the account?
> >
> > Set up the account again, using the identical long and short names as
> > you previously had. You should then get a message saying that a home
> > folder already exists for that account and asking if you want to use it.
> > Say okay.
>
> What about the UID? Might have to fiddle with that as well, right?

I don't know the answer to that. I've come across this situation in a
different context than the OP has. I've had occasions when a user's home
folder has been copied via the Finder from another location, either from
another volume or from the Previous Systems folder following an install
in which the option to keep previous accounts wasn't selected. I haven't
had to go anywhere near the UID in these situations, but the OP could
possibly have to in his context.

--
My latest dance routines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkxGQmTvctc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTajUBrlA6c
From: The Wolf on
On 7/10/10 12:51 PM, in article
1jlf7cc.1gaumouwc1f20N%mikePOST(a)TOGROUPmacconsult.com, "Mike Rosenberg"
<mikePOST(a)TOGROUPmacconsult.com> wrote:

>>> Set up the account again, using the identical long and short names as
>>> you previously had. You should then get a message saying that a home
>>> folder already exists for that account and asking if you want to use it.
>>> Say okay.
>>
>> What about the UID? Might have to fiddle with that as well, right?
>
> I don't know the answer to that. I've come across this situation in a
> different context than the OP has. I've had occasions when a user's home
> folder has been copied via the Finder from another location, either from
> another volume or from the Previous Systems folder following an install
> in which the option to keep previous accounts wasn't selected. I haven't
> had to go anywhere near the UID in these situations, but the OP could
> possibly have to in his context.
Do you know the answer to my other question?

The machine with the lost account has leopard installed. The leopard disk is
not available at the location but a snow leopard disk is.

Do you see a problem booting that machine from snow leopard, skipping the
install and doing a system restore from Time Machine?

From: Mike Rosenberg on
The Wolf <elvisp(a)compuserve.com> wrote:

> Do you know the answer to my other question?
>
> The machine with the lost account has leopard installed. The leopard disk is
> not available at the location but a snow leopard disk is.
>
> Do you see a problem booting that machine from snow leopard, skipping the
> install and doing a system restore from Time Machine?

I've never tried doing that and don't know the answer. Since Snow
Leopard retails for only $29, I'd have them install that and let
Migration Assistant do the rest.