From: John Pilger on
Do you know of a program which allows the user to specify his own
label sizes? I'd like to be able to open it up and specify the label
size and the size of the backer sheet and then mail merge my info into
it. Word and Publisher don't present the label and sheet size I have
to use. I have a bunch of 15/16 x 3 1/2 labels on a perforated 4 1/3
x 12 pinfeed backer sheet. Right now I just treat it as publisher
sheet with 12 different labels aligned vertically on it. Most of the
input is all repeated. If I had a label program I could just do one
design and merge the few letters that are different. I really don't
want to use a different sheet. These tear off labels work perfectly
for my need.

John
From: Bob Eager on
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 10:52:47 -0800, John Pilger wrote:

> Do you know of a program which allows the user to specify his own label
> sizes? I'd like to be able to open it up and specify the label size and
> the size of the backer sheet and then mail merge my info into it. Word
> and Publisher don't present the label and sheet size I have to use. I
> have a bunch of 15/16 x 3 1/2 labels on a perforated 4 1/3 x 12 pinfeed
> backer sheet. Right now I just treat it as publisher sheet with 12
> different labels aligned vertically on it. Most of the input is all
> repeated. If I had a label program I could just do one design and merge
> the few letters that are different. I really don't want to use a
> different sheet. These tear off labels work perfectly for my need.

You might look at SureThing Office Labeler (and its relatives). I use it
for CDs, but it seems pretty configurable.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

From: Lon on
Bob Eager wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 10:52:47 -0800, John Pilger wrote:
>
>> Do you know of a program which allows the user to specify his own label
>> sizes? I'd like to be able to open it up and specify the label size and
>> the size of the backer sheet and then mail merge my info into it. Word
>> and Publisher don't present the label and sheet size I have to use. I
>> have a bunch of 15/16 x 3 1/2 labels on a perforated 4 1/3 x 12 pinfeed
>> backer sheet. Right now I just treat it as publisher sheet with 12
>> different labels aligned vertically on it. Most of the input is all
>> repeated. If I had a label program I could just do one design and merge
>> the few letters that are different. I really don't want to use a
>> different sheet. These tear off labels work perfectly for my need.
>
> You might look at SureThing Office Labeler (and its relatives). I use it
> for CDs, but it seems pretty configurable.

If you want to really take control of the labels, use Corel Draw.
You can create any size label on virtually any size sheet. You can make
multiple copies of a single label, or add input from elsewhere.

For more details, try the draw groups at cnews.corel.com

You can also do it with FrameMaker, but if you think Corel has a larning
curve, you havent tried FrameMaker's abilities to do this.

From: Periproct on

"John Pilger" <syrjohn(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Do you know of a program which allows the user to specify his own
> label sizes? I'd like to be able to open it up and specify the label
> size and the size of the backer sheet and then mail merge my info into
> it. Word and Publisher don't present the label and sheet size I have
> to use. I have a bunch of 15/16 x 3 1/2 labels on a perforated 4 1/3
> x 12 pinfeed backer sheet. Right now I just treat it as publisher
> sheet with 12 different labels aligned vertically on it. Most of the
> input is all repeated. If I had a label program I could just do one
> design and merge the few letters that are different. I really don't
> want to use a different sheet. These tear off labels work perfectly
> for my need.
>
> John

I use X2Net Labelmaker from http://www.x2net.com/labelmaker/

Really easy to use so ideal for a simple fella like me. Have to run it in
virtual XP mode but worth it as it does everything I want.
A pain in the watsit to register. (Have to wait a day before you can
use your release code but can be cheated by setting your PCs date
forward one day).

From: John Pilger on
Thanks guys. I think I'll try the X2Net Labelmaker and hope for the
best