From: Yousuf Khan on
On 28/07/2010 6:31 PM, Arno wrote:
>> However, the fact that all of the administrator accounts were disabled,
>> while the non-admin accounts were fine does lead me to believe perhaps
>> someone was trying to seize the machine. However, the machine was behind
>> a NAT router, so it's hard to understand how they planned to take over
>> this machine.
>
> Hmm. Maybe they hacked the NAT first? Would not be the first time.
> Anyways, good success with the cleanup.

Well, I don't know how they can, the firewall is inside a Dlink
broadband router with all external interfaces turned off. It's not the
well-known hackable Linksys WRT54G router.

I'm going through the event logs right now, but it's a needle in a
haystack. Where would I notice unauthorized access? Will it even leave a
trace in the event logs? There were several errors, warnings, and
criticals during the time period in question, but that's no different
than what was there before that time period.

Yousuf Khan
From: Gordon on
On 29/07/10 23:11, Yousuf Khan wrote:
> On 29/07/2010 12:00 PM, GlowingBlueMist wrote:
>>>
>>> I looked into that possibility, but my last full backup was from April
>>> 2010, so it would've set the system back too far. Using the password
>>> cracker option, I was able to get it back to the level where I last left
>>> it.
>>>
>>> Yousuf Khan
>> Glad you got it working too.
>>
>> I wonder, did you try booting into the safe mode and using the built in
>> Administrator account or was that disabled as well?
>
> That was disabled as well.
>
> Yousuf Khan

That's by default, so don't worry about that.

From: Arno on
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 28/07/2010 6:31 PM, Arno wrote:
>>> However, the fact that all of the administrator accounts were disabled,
>>> while the non-admin accounts were fine does lead me to believe perhaps
>>> someone was trying to seize the machine. However, the machine was behind
>>> a NAT router, so it's hard to understand how they planned to take over
>>> this machine.
>>
>> Hmm. Maybe they hacked the NAT first? Would not be the first time.
>> Anyways, good success with the cleanup.

> Well, I don't know how they can, the firewall is inside a Dlink
> broadband router with all external interfaces turned off. It's not the
> well-known hackable Linksys WRT54G router.

> I'm going through the event logs right now, but it's a needle in a
> haystack. Where would I notice unauthorized access? Will it even leave a
> trace in the event logs? There were several errors, warnings, and
> criticals during the time period in question, but that's no different
> than what was there before that time period.

You can try a different appoach: Seach for known vulnerabilities
for this device.

It is quite possible that the logs will not help.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Yousuf Khan on
On 30/07/2010 2:48 AM, Gordon wrote:
> On 29/07/10 23:11, Yousuf Khan wrote:
>> On 29/07/2010 12:00 PM, GlowingBlueMist wrote:
>>> I wonder, did you try booting into the safe mode and using the built in
>>> Administrator account or was that disabled as well?
>>
>> That was disabled as well.
>>
>> Yousuf Khan
>
> That's by default, so don't worry about that.

It's still a mystery why the other accounts got disabled. Wonder if it
could've been a Microsoft bug?

Yousuf Khan
From: Frank on
On 7/30/2010 2:56 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
> On 30/07/2010 2:48 AM, Gordon wrote:
>>>
>>> That was disabled as well.
>>>
>>> Yousuf Khan
>>
>> That's by default, so don't worry about that.
>>

> It's still a mystery why the other accounts got disabled. Wonder if it
> could've been a Microsoft bug?
>
> Yousuf Khan

More likely, an operator error.