From: Yousuf Khan on
I have a perplexing problem here. I went on vacation outside of the
country, and when I got back my Windows 7 desktop lost almost all of its
user login accounts (5 altogether), except for one. The one that isn't
lost, cannot be logged into, as the password doesn't get accepted.

The machine also has a dual-boot to Windows XP, and choosing to boot
into XP gets you the message that that operating system doesn't exist.
Going to Safe mode in Windows 7 doesn't help as it doesn't accept the
password to the one remain account.

Using a Ubuntu Linux, I've taken a look at the Windows file system and
all files seem to be still there and I can access them, and Ubuntu
doesn't report any physical problems with the boot disk (SMART looks
fine). This happened while I was away, so I didn't even observe it
myself, and I can't even login to an account to look at the event logs.

Yousuf Khan
From: Grant on
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 13:17:19 -0500, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have a perplexing problem here. I went on vacation outside of the
>country, and when I got back my Windows 7 desktop lost almost all of its
>user login accounts (5 altogether), except for one. The one that isn't
>lost, cannot be logged into, as the password doesn't get accepted.
>
>The machine also has a dual-boot to Windows XP, and choosing to boot
>into XP gets you the message that that operating system doesn't exist.
>Going to Safe mode in Windows 7 doesn't help as it doesn't accept the
>password to the one remain account.
>
>Using a Ubuntu Linux, I've taken a look at the Windows file system and
>all files seem to be still there and I can access them, and Ubuntu
>doesn't report any physical problems with the boot disk (SMART looks
>fine). This happened while I was away, so I didn't even observe it
>myself, and I can't even login to an account to look at the event logs.

Leave the machine turned off next time?

From: Parko on
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 13:17:19 -0500, Yousuf Khan scrawled:

> I have a perplexing problem here. I went on vacation outside of the
> country, and when I got back my Windows 7 desktop lost almost all of its
> user login accounts (5 altogether), except for one. The one that isn't
> lost, cannot be logged into, as the password doesn't get accepted.
>
> The machine also has a dual-boot to Windows XP, and choosing to boot
> into XP gets you the message that that operating system doesn't exist.
> Going to Safe mode in Windows 7 doesn't help as it doesn't accept the
> password to the one remain account.
>
> Using a Ubuntu Linux, I've taken a look at the Windows file system and
> all files seem to be still there and I can access them, and Ubuntu
> doesn't report any physical problems with the boot disk (SMART looks
> fine). This happened while I was away, so I didn't even observe it
> myself, and I can't even login to an account to look at the event logs.
>
> Yousuf Khan

I've used this quite successfully in the past. Fairly straightforward to
use.
http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

--
You will be prompted to restart the computer. Click Yes. "This is not a
psychotic episode. It's a cleansing moment of clarity."

From: Frank on
On 7/25/2010 7:09 PM, Parko wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 13:17:19 -0500, Yousuf Khan scrawled:
>
>> I have a perplexing problem here. I went on vacation outside of the
>> country, and when I got back my Windows 7 desktop lost almost all of its
>> user login accounts (5 altogether), except for one. The one that isn't
>> lost, cannot be logged into, as the password doesn't get accepted.
>>
>> The machine also has a dual-boot to Windows XP, and choosing to boot
>> into XP gets you the message that that operating system doesn't exist.
>> Going to Safe mode in Windows 7 doesn't help as it doesn't accept the
>> password to the one remain account.
>>
>> Using a Ubuntu Linux, I've taken a look at the Windows file system and
>> all files seem to be still there and I can access them, and Ubuntu
>> doesn't report any physical problems with the boot disk (SMART looks
>> fine). This happened while I was away, so I didn't even observe it
>> myself, and I can't even login to an account to look at the event logs.
>>
>> Yousuf Khan
>
> I've used this quite successfully in the past. Fairly straightforward to
> use.
> http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Boot from your Win 7 DVD, if you have one, and do a system restore.
From: Arno on
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a perplexing problem here. I went on vacation outside of the
> country, and when I got back my Windows 7 desktop lost almost all of its
> user login accounts (5 altogether), except for one. The one that isn't
> lost, cannot be logged into, as the password doesn't get accepted.

I suppose the machine was running with INternet connectivity?
If so: Congratulations, you have aquired a SPAM-relay/bot-net node.

> The machine also has a dual-boot to Windows XP, and choosing to boot
> into XP gets you the message that that operating system doesn't exist.
> Going to Safe mode in Windows 7 doesn't help as it doesn't accept the
> password to the one remain account.

> Using a Ubuntu Linux, I've taken a look at the Windows file system and
> all files seem to be still there and I can access them, and Ubuntu
> doesn't report any physical problems with the boot disk (SMART looks
> fine). This happened while I was away, so I didn't even observe it
> myself, and I can't even login to an account to look at the event logs.

I would recommend complete sanitization while not connected
to a network.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----