From: Michael on
I am also having this problem.

We are running 2k8 Terminal Servers on a 2k8 domain.

Users are connecting from a variety of Wyse/Neoware thin clients as well as Windows 2000 and XP machines. All devices are behaving the same way.

The problem begins when users let their passwords expire and then try to change them when they log in, or when I change the password in Active Directory and force them to change the next time they log on. The workaround is not always the same. One fix was to supply them a temporary password through active directory and have them log in to their session and change their password when they get to their desktop. This works about 50% of the time. I ran a test with a test user and replicated the problem with forcing the user to change the password at next logon. At first it looked related to the double logon issue we are also having so I tried a different test. I supplied the test user with a temp password but did not force a password change. I authenticated through the first log on and then went into Active directory and forced the user to change the password at next logon. Then I authenticated through the second logon which forced the user to change the password. This test was successful. However, this test did not work the next time I tried it with a different user.

Other notes: When I went to test this again with my original test user, I couldn't replicate the problem. Perhaps after a user is finally able to change their password, the problem goes away for that user?

One week before the problem started, I performed a windows update on our DC and put on all of the updates that came out in 2009 (We were a little behind but have since put procedures in place to prevent that.) Maybe this issue has to do with a windows update?

gjl_support wrote:

Users cannot change password Win2k8 TS
11-Jan-10

Hello. I have a Win2k8 SP2 TS box in my 2k3 domain. Users do not have a
problem rdp'ing into it, they just cant change their passwords. When a user
tries to change their password manually or because of next logon prompt they
get the error "username or password is incorrect". I have tested it with
myself and Im the domain admin. This also happens if the user logs in
directly from the console...

All clients are XP SP2 running rdp client 6.0 or greater.

We do not have NLA enabled on the TS box.

This also affects domain admins.

stumped...

On Monday, January 11, 2010 2:13 PM
gjl_support wrote:

Users cannot change password Win2k8 TS
Hello. I have a Win2k8 SP2 TS box in my 2k3 domain. Users do not have a
problem rdp'ing into it, they just cant change their passwords. When a user
tries to change their password manually or because of next logon prompt they
get the error "username or password is incorrect". I have tested it with
myself and Im the domain admin. This also happens if the user logs in
directly from the console...

All clients are XP SP2 running rdp client 6.0 or greater.

We do not have NLA enabled on the TS box.

This also affects domain admins.

stumped...

Adding WCF Service References
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/a1647f10-9aa4-4b0c-bbd9-dfa51a9fab8e/adding-wcf-service-refere.aspx