From: Mike Rofone on
I've recently discovered that my ISP's email service supports IMAP (it never
used to). It was by accident, and it happened when I installed Outlook 2007 on a
new computer. It automatically configured the email profile that I use for that
server as an IMAP one. When I fired off a quick email to support they said that
yes, they're now doing it but don't widely advertise it. Reason being is that
they don't want the hassles of long term large storage of customers' emails.

The server software that the ISP uses is SquirrelMail. Web interface leaves a
lot to be desired but it's functional and IMAP seems to work just fine.

Anyway, I'm wondering how many people here are using OL 07 and IMAP? I'm not
really interested in Gmail as I had issues with the way that it does it and
questions to the microsoft.outlook forums got replies about Gmail not doing IMAP
correctly.

Are there any tricks or tips that I could look at with the view to getting it
working schmickly?

Certainly, now that the ISP has enabled IMAP support it will make things a lot
better for us. Currently we use a few different accounts for various things. And
having multiple computers and laptops meant that the email clients could only be
installed on one machine, if you know what I mean.

IMAP is now allowing us to have the same synchronised mailboxes on all
computers, and they can all be running at the same time. And if we access
webmail, then what we do there, post, reply, delete, will be reflected on the
machines that have IMAP and Outlook running.

I had tried to set up an MS Exchange server, but (a) I can't afford or justify
the cost for home email stuff and (b) it looked too complicated and (c) I don't
have the time to sit down and learn it anyway.

But this IMAP seems to fit the bill nicely.