From: Jason on
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to connect to my Catalyst 1900 switch using SSH? I
can connect without problem to the console using a rollover cable in my PCs
COM port but I'd also like to connect via the switches IP address. I can't
find any documentation on how to set a password for an SSH (or Telnet)
session in the switches configuration & when I try to connect using puTTY I
get the message "Network error: Connection refused"? I'm starting to think
that maybe the 1900 can't accept SSH or Telnet connections but I doubt this
very much.

TIA, Jason.
From: Chad Mahoney on
Jason wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me how to connect to my Catalyst 1900 switch using SSH? I
> can connect without problem to the console using a rollover cable in my PCs
> COM port but I'd also like to connect via the switches IP address. I can't
> find any documentation on how to set a password for an SSH (or Telnet)
> session in the switches configuration & when I try to connect using puTTY I
> get the message "Network error: Connection refused"? I'm starting to think
> that maybe the 1900 can't accept SSH or Telnet connections but I doubt this
> very much.
>
> TIA, Jason.

conf t
line vty 0 4
login
password cisco
wri mem

That will get you telnet access, as far as SSH I beleive you have to
have a certain IOS train to use SSH.

You do have an IP address on the switch already, correct? Can you ping
the address?
From: Doug McIntyre on
Jason <SpamSpamSpam(a)SpanishInquisition.co.uk> writes:
>Can anyone tell me how to connect to my Catalyst 1900 switch using SSH?

Chuck it out, and buy a switch that hasn't been EOL'd since almost
before ssh existed (exagerating here)? The generation after this one
didn't support SSH either..

>I can connect without problem to the console using a rollover cable in my PCs
>COM port but I'd also like to connect via the switches IP address. I can't
>find any documentation on how to set a password for an SSH (or Telnet)
>session in the switches configuration & when I try to connect using puTTY I
>get the message "Network error: Connection refused"? I'm starting to think
>that maybe the 1900 can't accept SSH or Telnet connections but I doubt this
>very much.

You can telnet to it when you configure remote access in the menus.
Read up on the docs here.

<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2900xl_3500xl/catalyst1900_2820/version9.00.00/icgf/19icg9x.html#wp9129>

Network Management Menu->IP Configuration Menu
Setup your IP address and password.

From: Jason on
Chad Mahoney <chad(a)nospam.mah0ney.com> wrote in

> Jason wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can anyone tell me how to connect to my Catalyst 1900 switch using
>> SSH? I can connect without problem to the console using a rollover
>> cable in my PCs COM port but I'd also like to connect via the
>> switches IP address. I can't find any documentation on how to set a
>> password for an SSH (or Telnet) session in the switches configuration
>> & when I try to connect using puTTY I get the message "Network error:
>> Connection refused"? I'm starting to think that maybe the 1900 can't
>> accept SSH or Telnet connections but I doubt this very much.
>>
>> TIA, Jason.
>

> conf t
> line vty 0 4
> login
> password cisco
> wri mem
>

> That will get you telnet access, as far as SSH I beleive you have to
> have a certain IOS train to use SSH.
>
> You do have an IP address on the switch already, correct? Can you ping
> the address?

I have now successfuly connected via Telnet so thanks very much.
From: Jason on
Doug McIntyre <merlyn(a)geeks.org> wrote in

> Jason <SpamSpamSpam(a)SpanishInquisition.co.uk> writes:
>>Can anyone tell me how to connect to my Catalyst 1900 switch using
>>SSH?
>
> Chuck it out, and buy a switch that hasn't been EOL'd since almost
> before ssh existed (exagerating here)? The generation after this one
> didn't support SSH either..
>
>>I can connect without problem to the console using a rollover cable in
>>my PCs COM port but I'd also like to connect via the switches IP
>>address. I can't find any documentation on how to set a password for
>>an SSH (or Telnet) session in the switches configuration & when I try
>>to connect using puTTY I get the message "Network error: Connection
>>refused"? I'm starting to think that maybe the 1900 can't accept SSH
>>or Telnet connections but I doubt this very much.
>
> You can telnet to it when you configure remote access in the menus.
> Read up on the docs here.
>
> <http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2900xl_3500xl/cat
> alyst1900_2820/version9.00.00/icgf/19icg9x.html#wp9129>
>
> Network Management Menu->IP Configuration Menu
> Setup your IP address and password.

Yeah I'm starting to gather that. I'm studying for my CCNA & I inherited
the lab I'm using from a friend who did his CCNA a few years ago. Much of
the syntax also differs quite a lot from the Catalyst 2960 that my study
book uses to give examples, which is quite frustrating; can you recommend
something more modern that I might be able to pick up on eBay fairly
cheaply?

Thanks, Jase