From: Andy Burns on
BillW50 wrote:

> a lab rat running through a maze

> humans are not lab rats

> treat everybody as lab rats

> I can hire lab rats

> Treat smart people and newbies as lab rats

> Don't expect people to act like lab rats

It may not be perfect but I, for one, am glad that TB is freely
available (as in speech), you're welcome to stick to your free OE (as
in beer).

No wonder I avoid the big8 and alt groups these days and stick to a
handful of uk groups; someone ungrateful sod like you with an exe to
grind seems to pops whenever a message is xposted left of the pond ...

From: Bruce on
On Sat, 22 May 2010 21:55:55 +0100, Tim Watts <tw(a)dionic.net> wrote:
>On 22/05/10 20:48, Bruce wrote:
>> I have used Forte Agent for many years now. Originally there was a
>> stripped-down free version, but that soon changed so it has to be paid
>> for. But I find it incredibly intuitive to use.
>>
>> Recently I looked at Thunderbird as an alternative to upgrading to the
>> latest version of Agent. I found it was clunky and difficult to
>> understand. After about an hour I gave up and happily upgraded Agent
>> to the current version.
>
>I used Agent about 12 years back - and it was good then too. I quite
>liked it.

I think that's called "damning with faint praise".

From: tony sayer on
In article <7pcgv5dfc9d45pg029i69jom6jkn6207no(a)4ax.com>, Bruce
<docnews2011(a)gmail.com> scribeth thus
>On Sat, 22 May 2010 15:55:47 +0100, Roger Mills <watt.tyler(a)gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Having moved to a new computer, I've finally decided to bite the bullet
>>and get shot of Outlook Express as a newsreader - and have opted for
>>Thunderbird, largely because I'm using Firefox as a browser, and it's
>>from the same stable - and free!
>>
>>Anyone know whether there's an Idiot's guide anywhere, telling ex-OE
>>users how to use Thunderbird for newsgroup access? There doesn't seem to
>>be any targetted help - the Help menu takes you to a website which seems
>>mainly geared towards use as an email client.
>>
>>Specifically, I need to know:
>>- How to mark interesting threads so that they show up in red
>>- How to automatically treat all messages as "read" when exiting a group
>>- How to set the View options so that only new messages (since the last
>>time I read a group) are displayed
>>
>>Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.
>

>I have used Forte Agent for many years now. Originally there was a
>stripped-down free version, but that soon changed so it has to be paid
>for. But I find it incredibly intuitive to use.
>
>Recently I looked at Thunderbird as an alternative to upgrading to the
>latest version of Agent. I found it was clunky and difficult to
>understand. After about an hour I gave up and happily upgraded Agent
>to the current version.
>
>While Agent must be paid for ($29.00, or slightly less than �20.00),
>there is a free 30 day trial so you can see if you like it. If you
>can manage with Thunderbird, that's fine, but if not, you might like
>to give Agent a try.
>
>http://www.forteinc.com/
>
>By the way, I use Agent only for news, but you can also configure it
>for email.

I've used Turnpike v 5.02 for years now and often wondered if there was
anything better as a news reader and can't say I've come across anything
better as yet;!.....
--
Tony Sayer

From: Graeme on
In message <Ycw1JXADiS+LFwFV(a)bancom.co.uk>, tony sayer
<tony(a)bancom.co.uk> writes

>I've used Turnpike v 5.02 for years now and often wondered if there was
>anything better as a news reader and can't say I've come across anything
>better as yet;!

Tony, I agree. However, TP will not work 'out of the box' with Windows
7, so I'm reading this thread with interest. My machine is running XP
with TP 6.06, but I suppose the time will come when a new PC will arrive
with W7.

The comments regarding news are interesting, but how about groups,
specifically Yahoo Groups. Will Thunderbird or Agent thread those like
Usenet? That is a TP feature I could not live without.

Thinking aloud, I suppose there is nothing to stop me running two or
three news readers simultaneously, just to see how each looks and
performs? Presumably, each would fetch news independently of the
others?

--
Graeme
From: BillW50 on
On 5/23/2010 1:42 AM, Andy Burns wrote on Sun, 23 May 2010 07:42:17 +0100:
> BillW50 wrote:
>
>> a lab rat running through a maze
>
>> humans are not lab rats
>
>> treat everybody as lab rats
>
>> I can hire lab rats
>
>> Treat smart people and newbies as lab rats
>
>> Don't expect people to act like lab rats
>
> It may not be perfect but I, for one, am glad that TB is freely
> available (as in speech), you're welcome to stick to your free OE (as in
> beer).
>
> No wonder I avoid the big8 and alt groups these days and stick to a
> handful of uk groups; someone ungrateful sod like you with an exe to
> grind seems to pops whenever a message is xposted left of the pond ...

Oh I see! We Thunderbird users are not allowed to give our opinion when
the likes of you are around. As we must be thankful and grateful for the
tiny crumbs that Mozilla has given us.

You know, some companies actually do listen to their customers and
improve their software. Some other companies doesn't care what their
customers think. And they want you to feel grateful for the crumbs they
hand out.

And I have no axe to grind either. I am just saying it as it is. If you
have a problem with anything I said, feel free to correct me. So far
though, you have not corrected me on one single thing yet. Why not? And
if you don't have any evidence to the contrary, then what is the problem?

--
Bill
Thunderbird 3.0