From: Graeme on
In message <862j3sFt9nU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Rod
<polygonum(a)ntlworld.com> writes
>On 25/05/2010 19:12, Graeme wrote:
>>
>> <huge grin> I am afraid that we see this subject from opposite ends. I
>> cannot abide replying via a web page, and cannot understand how or why
>> people do. I always reply via e-mail, and it works.
>>
>Happily grant you the right to do that - to do absolutely anything you
>like - so long as there is sensible threading! :-)

Agreed!

>And don't get me onto the inability of most Yahoo group posters to
>snip. Or the way the system pushes people towards top posting. Or the
>ludicrous backgrounds and pictures people insist on adding.

I despise HTML posting, wherever I see it. Plain text rules.

>And George, just remember that Yahoo group emails are not the same as
>Usenet posts.

I'm very well aware of the difference, but much prefer to receive my
Yahoo group posts exactly as I see Usenet posts. No top posting, plenty
of snippage, unbroken sig sep, NO HTML, neatly sorted into groups, then
properly threaded. I like any thread to which I have contributed to be
automatically marked as 'interesting', one click facility to keep
threads or posts forever, mark as read etc.
--
Graeme
From: ~misfit~ on
Somewhere on teh intarwebs BillW50 wrote:
[snip]
> But I have Thunderbird set to not to
> download message bodies. So maybe that is why. OE6 can be set not to
> download message bodies either. But it stores them automatically if
> up opened them once or have them set as being watched. I like that a
> lot. Probably not a good idea if you have Internet access all of the
> time and are tight on disk space too.

Going slightly away from the subject here, I use Tbird as my email client
and it really annoys me that, after it asks me if I want to download remote
content in an email, it doesn't store it, not even for that session.

So if I'm checking prices for components in a weekly 'specials' email from a
supplier (I tend to keep each weekly email in my inbox until I get the next
one from the same company, then I delete last week's one) and click to
another email next time I want to look back at that email again it
re-downloads all of the graphical (etcetera) content. That can be a real
PITA if you're off line at the time or have limied conection as some
organisations like to send lots of pretty pictures in their (or linked to
their) emails. It can chew through data pretty quickly.
--
Shaun.

"When we dream.... that's just our brains defragmenting" G Jackson.

From: Rod on
On 27/05/2010 05:18, ~misfit~ wrote:
<>

> Going slightly away from the subject here, I use Tbird as my email client
> and it really annoys me that, after it asks me if I want to download remote
> content in an email, it doesn't store it, not even for that session.
>
> So if I'm checking prices for components in a weekly 'specials' email from a
> supplier (I tend to keep each weekly email in my inbox until I get the next
> one from the same company, then I delete last week's one) and click to
> another email next time I want to look back at that email again it
> re-downloads all of the graphical (etcetera) content. That can be a real
> PITA if you're off line at the time or have limied conection as some
> organisations like to send lots of pretty pictures in their (or linked to
> their) emails. It can chew through data pretty quickly.

Have not gone very far in checking, but have just gone to some old
emails of exactly the type you mention, and pictures are there - or they
download instantly without asking. (Lidl ones are what I just checked.)
Oddly - only the ones since sometime in December 2009. Earlier ones are
as you described - bereft of pictures.

--
Rod
From: ~misfit~ on
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Rod wrote:
> On 27/05/2010 05:18, ~misfit~ wrote:
> <>
>>
>> Going slightly away from the subject here, I use Tbird as my email
>> client and it really annoys me that, after it asks me if I want to
>> download remote content in an email, it doesn't store it, not even
>> for that session. So if I'm checking prices for components in a weekly
>> 'specials'
>> email from a supplier (I tend to keep each weekly email in my inbox
>> until I get the next one from the same company, then I delete last
>> week's one) and click to another email next time I want to look back
>> at that email again it re-downloads all of the graphical (etcetera)
>> content. That can be a real PITA if you're off line at the time or
>> have limied conection as some organisations like to send lots of
>> pretty pictures in their (or linked to their) emails. It can chew
>> through data pretty quickly.
>
> Have not gone very far in checking, but have just gone to some old
> emails of exactly the type you mention, and pictures are there - or
> they download instantly without asking.

Tbird 'remembers' if you said yes the first time you opened the mail and
then just downloads remote content.

I've just spent more time than I'd have liked looking for a setting to tell
it to keep the data so it doesn't have to re-download it but I'm fusked if I
can find out how to do that.

> (Lidl ones are what I just
> checked.) Oddly - only the ones since sometime in December 2009.
> Earlier ones are as you described - bereft of pictures.

That's another problem with it not keeping the pictures etc. It can only do
that as long as they're still on the server. Therefore 'archived' emails may
in fact be useless, which is why I'd love to be able to change the settings.

From: BillW50 on
In news:htkrr2$roo$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
~misfit~ typed on Thu, 27 May 2010 16:18:38 +1200:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs BillW50 wrote:
> [snip]
>> But I have Thunderbird set to not to
>> download message bodies. So maybe that is why. OE6 can be set not to
>> download message bodies either. But it stores them automatically if
>> up opened them once or have them set as being watched. I like that a
>> lot. Probably not a good idea if you have Internet access all of the
>> time and are tight on disk space too.
>
> Going slightly away from the subject here, I use Tbird as my email
> client and it really annoys me that, after it asks me if I want to
> download remote content in an email, it doesn't store it, not even
> for that session.
> So if I'm checking prices for components in a weekly 'specials' email
> from a supplier (I tend to keep each weekly email in my inbox until I
> get the next one from the same company, then I delete last week's
> one) and click to another email next time I want to look back at that
> email again it re-downloads all of the graphical (etcetera) content.
> That can be a real PITA if you're off line at the time or have limied
> conection as some organisations like to send lots of pretty pictures
> in their (or linked to their) emails. It can chew through data pretty
> quickly.

You need to setup whatever folder(s) you want for offline reading. Then
it will store them on the computer.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows XP SP3

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: blinding webcam
Next: drivers for NEC Japan laptop