From: VK on
In continuation of http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/msg/787389d10afcaf77

Test (unzip and run AJAX/test/index.html):
http://sites.google.com/site/schoolsring/javascript
LocalDataReadingTest.zip

In each test:
1) attempt to read xml file in the same directory
2) attempt to read xml file in subdirectory
3) attempt to read xml file in top directory
4) attempt to read xml file in sibling directory

Each reading made twice: one time with without overriding MIME type,
next time with implied "text/xml" type.

1) IE
Internet Explorer 8.0 / Windows Vista SP2 - newest
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900 / Windows XP SP2 - legacy test

window.XMLHttpRequest in new IE does NOT allow local data reading at
all.

window.ActiveXObject(ProgID) doesn't support .overrideMimeType method

Without implied "text/xml" Content-type the results are:

OK attempt to read xml file in the same directory
OK attempt to read xml file in subdirectory
OK attempt to read xml file in top directory
OK attempt to read xml file in sibling directory

success request status = 0

.requestXML is empty, a manual serialization from responseText is
needed later.

2) Fx
Mozilla Firefox 3.6.3 / Windows Vista SP2 - newest
Mozilla Firefox 3.5.7 / Windows XP SP2 - legacy test

OK attempt to read xml file in the same directory
OK attempt to read xml file in subdirectory
_ attempt to read xml file in top directory (Error: Access to
restricted URI denied)
_ attempt to read xml file in sibling directory (Error: Access to
restricted URI denied)

success request status = 0

.requestXML is filled properly either with or without
using .overrideMimeType method

3) Sf
Apple Safari 4.0.5 / Windows Vista SP2

OK attempt to read xml file in the same directory
OK attempt to read xml file in subdirectory
OK attempt to read xml file in top directory
OK attempt to read xml file in sibling directory

success request status = 0

.requestXML is filled properly either with or without
using .overrideMimeType method

4) Ch
Google Chrome 4.1.249 / Windows Vista SP2

OK attempt to read xml file in the same directory
OK attempt to read xml file in subdirectory
OK attempt to read xml file in top directory
OK attempt to read xml file in sibling directory

success request status = 0

.requestXML is filled properly either with or without
using .overrideMimeType method

5) Op
Opera 10.51 / Windows Vista SP2

OK attempt to read xml file in the same directory
OK attempt to read xml file in subdirectory
OK attempt to read xml file in top directory
OK attempt to read xml file in sibling directory

success request status = 0

.requestXML is filled properly either with or without
using .overrideMimeType method

Conclusions:
1) IE sucks but usable :-)
2) Fx is the most strict
3) overrideMimeType is useless: it is not needed where supported
and it is not supported where needed

4) The quality of XMLHttpRequest instantiation blocks in all
prominent libraries is *awful*... No, sorry: it is AWFUL. No... It is
a BLOODY AWFUL NIGHTMARE. The guys didn't read MSDN for years. If they
don't care about IE users whatsoever is fine, but they should
explicitly mark it then. I am posting the XHR init part from the test
file here - not as a sample of an outstanding coding, but at least to
show some descent approach with the crucial points commented:

function getAjaxObject(forLocalData) {

var isIE = /*@cc_on/*@if(@_jscript)true(a)else@*/false/*@end@*/;

var xhr = null;

if (typeof window == 'object') {

/* Common branch for modern browsers */
if (
(typeof window.XMLHttpRequest != 'undefined') &&
// window.XMLHttpRequest instances in IE do not
// have local file access even from local pages,
// unlike ActiveX instances: so if forLocalData
// flag set, we are trying to use the underlaying
// ActiveX constructor.
!(isIE && forLocalData)
) {
try {
return new window.XMLHttpRequest();
}
catch(e) {
return new Error(e.message);
}
}

/* ActiveX branch for old IE versions and for local data access
capable instances, see:
* http://blogs.msdn.com/xmlteam/archive/2006/10/23/using-the-right-version-of-msxml-in-internet-explorer.aspx
* http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.xml/browse_frm/thread/7772ac2ad016e2bf/5bd173be4950e107
* http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/01/23/516393.aspx
* for proper ProgID and proper ProgID trying sequence.
*/
else if (
(isIE) &&
(typeof window.ActiveXObject != 'undefined') // IE 5.x for MacOS
without ActiveX
) {
try {
return new window.ActiveXObject('Msxml2.XMLHTTP.6.0');
}
catch(e) {
try {
xhr = new window.ActiveXObject('Msxml2.XMLHTTP.3.0');
/* Msxml2.XMLHTTP.3.0 and older have XSL Patterns as the
* defailt XML language, not XPath, so fixing it:
*/
xhr.setProperty('SelectionLanguage', 'XPath');
return xhr;
}
catch(e) {
try {
xhr = new window.ActiveXObject('Msxml2.XMLHTTP');
/* Msxml2.XMLHTTP (IE6 / Win XP SP2 in default installation)
* have XSL Patterns as the defailt XML language, not XPath,
* but it doesn't support .setProperty switch.
* Setting the warning flag at the very least:
*/
arguments.callee.isXSLPatterns = true;
return xhr;
}
catch(e) {
/* Microsoft.XMLHTTP ProgID as the last ressort is not used
* as the security consideration should prevail over the
* maximum backward compatibility. Unlock for special cases only.
*/
//try {
// return new window.ActiveXObject('Microsoft.XMLHTTP');
//}
//catch(e) {
// return new Error(e.message);
//}
return new Error(e.message);
}
}
}
}

/* If nothing then nothing... */
else {
return new Error('ActiveX is missing or blocked');
}
}
else {
return new Error('window host object is missing');
}
}
From: VK on
On Apr 24, 8:40 pm, VK <schools_r...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Conclusions:
>  1) IE sucks but usable :-)
>  2) Fx is the most strict

5) async request checked for "200 OK" status only means either of two
things:
a) the coder has no clue about Ajax he/she dared to program
b) the coder deliberately decided to make his Ajax not usable for
local data
reading but failed to inform his/her users.

All good boys and girls (the one who reading c.l.j. :) always do like
this:

if ((myRequest.status == 200) || (myRequest.status == 0)) {
// success
}

6) XHR instantiation w/o explicit IE check and w/o possibility to flag
for ActiveX instead of XMLHttpRequest is a strong sign of i) a
clueless coding or ii) 5-b above
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
VK wrote:

> [...] I am posting the XHR init part from the test file here - not as a
> sample of an outstanding coding,

What else is new?

> but at least to show some descent approach with the crucial points
> commented:

In your fantasy world, perhaps.

> function getAjaxObject(forLocalData) {
>
> var isIE = /*@cc_on/*@if(@_jscript)true(a)else@*/false/*@end@*/;

OMG.

> var xhr = null;
>
> if (typeof window == 'object') {
>
> /* Common branch for modern browsers */
> if (
> (typeof window.XMLHttpRequest != 'undefined') &&
> [...]
> !(isIE && forLocalData)
> ) {
> [...]
> }
> [...]
> else if (
> (isIE) &&
> (typeof window.ActiveXObject != 'undefined') // IE 5.x for MacOS
> without ActiveX
> ) {

Apparently you are not paying attention.

> try {
> return new window.ActiveXObject('Msxml2.XMLHTTP.6.0');
> }
> catch(e) {
> try {
> xhr = new window.ActiveXObject('Msxml2.XMLHTTP.3.0');
> [aso.]

Obviously you are not paying attention at all, or your puny mind is unable
to process or store the discussion results.

PointedEars
will want to steal it.)
From: VK on
On Apr 24, 11:08 pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedE...(a)web.de>
wrote:

> >  var isIE = /*@cc_on/*@if(@_jscript)true(a)else@*/false/*@end@*/;

Thomas, it is from a real production code, not usual c.l.j. child
games. It takes more efforts to comprehend, but the results are
fruitful. It is a JScript conditional compilation statement:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7kx09ct1(VS.80).aspx
Any browser but IE will see false, IE will see true.

Why not the regular baby check
if (window.ActiveXObject) { ...
?

Because baby checks need baby efforts to spoof, like
if !!(window.ActiveXObject) {
window.ActiveXObject = new OurAjaxLoophole();
}

> >  var xhr = null;
>
> >  if (typeof window == 'object') {
>
> > /* Common branch for modern browsers */
> >   if (
> >     (typeof window.XMLHttpRequest != 'undefined') &&
> > [...]
> >     !(isIE && forLocalData)
> >    ) {
> > [...]
> >   }
> > [...]
> >   else if (
> >     (isIE) &&
> >     (typeof window.ActiveXObject != 'undefined') // IE 5.x for MacOS
> > without ActiveX
> >    ) {
>
> Apparently you are not paying attention.
> >    try {
> >     return new window.ActiveXObject('Msxml2.XMLHTTP.6.0');
> >    }
> >    catch(e) {
> >     try {
> >      xhr = new window.ActiveXObject('Msxml2.XMLHTTP.3.0');
> > [aso.]
>
> Obviously you are not paying attention at all, or your puny mind is unable
> to process or store the discussion results.

No, it is just might be hard to realize how little one (you) know
about the real compatibility. The link to resources are provided right
and the code, read and learn. A separate hint as it is the most
popular urban legend about XHR on IE:
No, ActiveXObject('Msxml2.XMLHTTP') does NOT mean "take the latest/
current version". It means: "take the oldest one from all available".
For the rest keep study linked resources. Do not hesitate to ask for
explanations or for extra test cases for particular points.

From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
VK wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> > var isIE = /*@cc_on/*@if(@_jscript)true(a)else@*/false/*@end@*/;
>
> Thomas, it is from a real production code,

I pity your users already.

> not usual c.l.j. child games.

It's your usual nonsense. JScript support has *nothing* to do with the
underlying DOM that provides the `XMLHttpRequest' and `ActiveXObject'
objects.

> [...] It takes more efforts to comprehend,

One must be smoking what you are smoking to "comprehend" that.

> but the results are fruitful.

Hardly.

> It is a JScript conditional compilation statement:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7kx09ct1(VS.80).aspx

I *know* what it is, stupid.

> Any browser but IE will see false, [...]

Definitely no.

> Why not the regular baby check
> if (window.ActiveXObject) { ...
> ?

Nobody but you here recommends that, stupid.

> Because baby checks need baby efforts to spoof, like
> if !!(window.ActiveXObject) {
> window.ActiveXObject = new OurAjaxLoophole();
> }

That's not even syntactically valid.

>> > var xhr = null;
>>
>> > if (typeof window == 'object') {
>>
>> > /* Common branch for modern browsers */
>> > if (
>> > (typeof window.XMLHttpRequest != 'undefined') &&
>> > [...]
>> > !(isIE && forLocalData)
>> > ) {
>> > [...]
>> > }
>> > [...]
>> > else if (
>> > (isIE) &&
>> > (typeof window.ActiveXObject != 'undefined') // IE 5.x for MacOS
>> > without ActiveX
>> > ) {
>>
>> Apparently you are not paying attention.
>> > try {
>> > return new window.ActiveXObject('Msxml2.XMLHTTP.6.0');
>> > }
>> > catch(e) {
>> > try {
>> > xhr = new window.ActiveXObject('Msxml2.XMLHTTP.3.0');
>> > [aso.]
>>
>> Obviously you are not paying attention at all, or your puny mind is
>> unable to process or store the discussion results.
>
> No, it is just might be hard to realize how little one (you) know
> about the real compatibility. [...]

Often Wrong, your code will _not_ work in MSHTML with local files to begin
with.

PointedEarws
-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <cife6q$253$1$8300dec7(a)news.demon.co.uk> (2004)