From: michael on
Well, it took me two days - but it works.
Maintopic is to use the correct networkadapter to get
connection to the connected devices.

and You have to install the software on the virtual Pc
definitly using the same ip as on the host for the belkin.

hope that helps

Michael

Bo Berglund wrote:

Using a network USB hub for a virtual machine?
09-Mar-09

I have a question regarding the use of USB devices in VirtualPC. I
know that USB is not emulated in the VPC2007 hardware so normally it
would not be possible to use such devices in a virtual machine.
But now I have come across a nifty networked USB hub from Belkin:
http://www.belkin.com/networkusbhub/

It seems like this is a product that uses TCP/IP networking to connect
to a USB device using some translation software from Belkin (a driver
of sorts) to handle the bridge to a PC. Apparently any USB device
attached to the hub can be connected to from several different PC:s on
the network, but only one at a time, using TCP/IP.

Since my virtual machines have excellent networking capabilities it
would open up new avenues of software testing if this product could be
used.

So the question now (before I shell out the $99) is:

Has anyone using VPC2007 virtual machines gotten this to work?

If so did it also work with USB connected software protection dongles
(which is my main headache when testing software in a virtualized
environment)?

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)

On Monday, March 09, 2009 7:14 AM
Bo Berglund wrote:

[...]

On Tuesday, March 10, 2009 2:26 AM
Bo Berglund wrote:

Re: Using a network USB hub for a virtual machine?
On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 17:54:52 -0700 (PDT), ronald.phillips(a)gmail.com
wrote:

Because I should have posted on the virtual server NG instead...

Fact is I am really trying to get a grip on how customers using
virtualized servers can run our software on such servers. We use
Safenet Sentinel SuperPro dongles for protection and there is nowhere
to plug them into a virtual server guest windows server...
VPC2007 is close enough to VS2005 in this respect that I thought I
would get more responses here. But I did not create a post interesting
enough, it seems like.

Concerning my own testing:
1) When testing our software I use a build thta bypasses the dongle
checks. Not possible to send to customers though...

2) When I test or use software from others, which use USB, I use
VMWare Workstation 6.5 on my laptop. Works just fine, but wouldn't in
the server scenario above since the USB hardware is not available on
the host metal...

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)

On Tuesday, March 10, 2009 3:09 AM
Steve Jain [MVP] wrote:

Re: Using a network USB hub for a virtual machine?
On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 07:26:39 +0100, Bo Berglund <boberglund(a)home.se>
wrote:

There has been talk of this over on the virtualserver ng before...I
think the FabulaTech one ($149) and mostly in regards to Hyper-V.
http://www.usb-over-network.com/usbnet-solutions/virtual.html
They specifically reference Virtual PC.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP

On Tuesday, March 10, 2009 2:45 PM
Bo Berglund wrote:

Re: Using a network USB hub for a virtual machine?
Tried the demo on my XP-Pro SP3 (server) and an VPC2007 guest running
XP-Home SP2 Swedish (client).
Did't work... :-(

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)

On Mar 9, 7:14=A0am, Bo Berglund <bobergl...(a)home.se> wrote:
ww.belkin.com/networkusbhub/

Any reason why you don't want to use VirtualBox/Vmware Player/Vmware
Workstation before shelling out money for a piece of hardware that
should be part of the emulation software anyway?

Get Started with SQLite and Visual Studio
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/20f7912e-6fa7-40eb-b31b-b6f46d4f2c6a/get-started-with-sqlite-a.aspx
From: Bo Berglund on
On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 10:25:23 -0800, michael witlatschil wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>
>Using a network USB hub for a virtual machine?
>09-Mar-09

This is an old, long time dead thread.....
No use replying to it.

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)