From: Buttnuts on
I have been searching and have not found if this is possible.
I have a Win7 Ent. laptop with lots of RAM (6GB) and fast cpu (i7).
I have already installed VirtualPC with XP Mode to run some legacy
apps that we must run and for the most part they work fairly well.
But I would like to be able to add additional virtual machines - from
VHD's (both XP) that I have.
The reason is simple I am going to be traveling a lot and would like
my development machine which has all our code and Visual Studio and
all other tools installed along with the other machine - an XP machine
running server services for testing.
Can these two Virtualiztion platforms work together?
And if so how?
Would I simply just download Virtual PC 2007 or server and install
that?
Might that kill my XP Mode that is working pretty well?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
From: Robert Comer on
You can't run Windows Virtual PC (XP Mode) and VPC 2007 on the same machine
but you're in luck, Windows Virtual PC can run the VM's from VPC 2007 or
Virtual Server (as long as it doesn't use a emulated SCSI drive).

Just double left mouse click on the .vmc file to import than into WVPC.

And if they're XP SP3 and later, you probably want to uninstall the VPC2007
additions and install the WVPC Integration components. (unless you want to
keep running them on another PC with VPC2007, then just leave the additions
install instead.)

--
Bob Comer

From: Buttnuts on
Thanks,
Makes sense. I was hoping as much. That works in Win2k3 and 2k8.
Right now I have just the latest VHD's (used for backups in case the
old physical systems die).
So I guess I should I first take the VHD's and create full fledged
VMs, then transer both vmc and vhds to my Win 7 machine, right?
Thanks again.
From: Robert Comer on
You can create the VM's on Win 7 just as easily, all you really need is the
vhd.