From: Atenoriob on
Hi,

First of all I'd like to thank you all for your responses.

Creating a separate file is however no viable option given that all the
tasks that utilize material and external resources are closely linked to
tasks that use resources from the pool, total being around 2000 tasks for an
average project. Creating links between several files would defeat the
purpose of minimizing complexity given that it would make the relationships
betwen tasks very complex, which would not only lead to confusions and
eventually errors in the plan, but also would make it very slow given that
some colleagues must access the file from overseas and connection speed is an
issue.

MS Project Server is in the short term out of the question given that it
must be validated by the IT Division, then the servers must be brought
online, and so on. I would not count on it for the next 2 years...

Anyone has more suggestions inspite of these restrictions?

Thanks in advance.

From: John on
In article <CF9FF730-2723-425A-9CAF-3016BBD0416B(a)microsoft.com>,
Atenoriob <Atenoriob(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First of all I'd like to thank you all for your responses.
>
> Creating a separate file is however no viable option given that all the
> tasks that utilize material and external resources are closely linked to
> tasks that use resources from the pool, total being around 2000 tasks for an
> average project. Creating links between several files would defeat the
> purpose of minimizing complexity given that it would make the relationships
> betwen tasks very complex, which would not only lead to confusions and
> eventually errors in the plan, but also would make it very slow given that
> some colleagues must access the file from overseas and connection speed is an
> issue.
>
> MS Project Server is in the short term out of the question given that it
> must be validated by the IT Division, then the servers must be brought
> online, and so on. I would not count on it for the next 2 years...
>
> Anyone has more suggestions inspite of these restrictions?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Altenoriob,
You're welcome. Sorry the most viable approaches aren't right for your
situation.

Are there other ways to do what you need? Yes, but implementing them may
not be optimal and/or may require development work for a VBA solution.
Given some time you could probably come up with some type of algorithm
to add in "local" resource and material costs through VBA. Or, depending
on how you need to show material and external resources, you might be
able to use the Fixed Cost field.

If you want to pursue this discussion further you will need to repost to
our new forum. This newsgroup is being shut down tomorrow, June 1st,
2010. The new forum can be found at,

From: Rod Gill on
HI,

I agree with John. Your only solution is a custom one, either developed
directly in VBA or by using a 3rd party tool. www.mvps.org/project has a
list of 3rd party tools.

Personally, as an interim step to Project Server I favor VBA or an Add-in to
export data to SQL Server for reporting purposes and to store inter project
links. This is something I've done several times and find simple to
implement. You use your pet SQL Server reporting tool for reports and keep
all .mpp files separate with no links to pools or other files, so
eliminating all file corruption risk.

--

Rod Gill
Microsoft MVP for Project - http://www.project-systems.co.nz

Author of the only book on Project VBA, see: http://www.projectvbabook.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5159 (20100531) __________

http://www.eset.com

From: Atenoriob on
Thank you both for your great anwers. In the end the most viable solution
would be to report the material costs as fix costs for their corresponding
tasks and write a small notice stating what kind of material it is. This
solution should work until we get Project Server.

I will see you in the Forum, cheers!

From: John on
In article <DFA5ED60-2C7C-4A3B-91A8-0BECB55A0293(a)microsoft.com>,
Atenoriob <Atenoriob(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Thank you both for your great anwers. In the end the most viable solution
> would be to report the material costs as fix costs for their corresponding
> tasks and write a small notice stating what kind of material it is. This
> solution should work until we get Project Server.
>
> I will see you in the Forum, cheers!
Atenoriob,
You're welcome.
John