From: James Egan on
On Sat, 22 May 2010 23:27:27 -0500, Tad McClellan wrote:

> James Egan <jegan473(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to use the perl "rename" script to rename batches of files.
>

> What is "the perl rename script"?
>
> I have never heard of it.

It's part of the perl distribution, and is actually a symlink to prename:

ls -l /usr/bin/rename
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Jul 1 2009 /usr/bin/rename -> /etc
alternatives/rename

ls -l /etc/alternatives/rename
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Jul 3 2009 /etc/alternatives/rename -> /usr
bin/prename

dpkg -S /usr/bin/prename
perl: /usr/bin/prename

From: James Egan on
On Sat, 22 May 2010 15:24:36 -0700, Jürgen Exner wrote:

> James Egan <jegan473(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>>I'm trying to use the perl "rename" script to rename batches of files.
>
> What rename script? Did you mean rename command?
>
>>So if the files are say:
>>
>>0123.mov
>>0124.mov
>>0125.mov
>>

>>I want to rename something like:
>>
>>birthday-01.mov
>>birthday-02.mov
>>birthday-03.mov
>
> Is there a relationship between the number 0124 the number 02? If so
> which one?
> Or do you just want to have consecutive numbers in your new filenames
> without any relationship to the numbers in the old files?

No, no relationship between the numbers. The numeric portion of the file
names are generated by my digital camera, and vary. E.g., the file names
could be mvi_0925.mov, mvi_0926.mov, mvi_0927.mov.

From: RedGrittyBrick on
On 23/05/2010 16:00, James Egan wrote:
> On Sat, 22 May 2010 23:27:27 -0500, Tad McClellan wrote:
>
>> James Egan<jegan473(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to use the perl "rename" script to rename batches of files.
>>

>> What is "the perl rename script"?
>>
>> I have never heard of it.
>

> It's part of the perl distribution, and is actually a symlink to prename:

So far as I can see:

Part of "the perl distribution" - No.

Part of Debian's "perl" package - Yes.

The rename/prename script is not listed at
http://perldoc.perl.org/index-utilities.html which is part of "the
official documentation from the Perl distribution(s)".

--
RGB
From: Ilya Zakharevich on
On 2010-05-23, RedGrittyBrick <RedGrittyBrick(a)SpamWeary.invalid> wrote:
>>> What is "the perl rename script"?

>>> I have never heard of it.

>> It's part of the perl distribution, and is actually a symlink to prename:

> So far as I can see:
>
> Part of "the perl distribution" - No.
>
> Part of Debian's "perl" package - Yes.
>
> The rename/prename script is not listed at
> http://perldoc.perl.org/index-utilities.html which is part of "the
> official documentation from the Perl distribution(s)".

Some people know how to look, some do not:

K:\get-perl\perl>ls perl5.005_03/eg
ADB client findtar myrup rmfrom sysvipc van
README down g nih scan travesty who
cgi dus muck relink server unuc wrapsuid
changes findcp muck.man rename shmkill uudecode

Hope this helps,
Ilya
From: Xho Jingleheimerschmidt on
Tad McClellan wrote:
> James Egan <jegan473(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to use the perl "rename" script to rename batches of files.
>

> What is "the perl rename script"?
>
> I have never heard of it.

I was quite surprised to find it on my Asus Linux machine,
as I am used to 'rename' being a binary which does fixed string
substitutions.

/home/user> head /usr/bin/rename

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
#
# This script was developed by Robin Barker (Robin.Barker(a)npl.co.uk),
# from Larry Wall's original script eg/rename from the perl source.
#
# This script is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
# under the same terms as Perl itself.

Xho