From: Ben Morrow on

Quoth Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz <spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org.invalid>:
> In <eqbKn.154656$pj7.8679(a)en-nntp-15.dc1.easynews.com>, on 05/23/2010
> at 03:00 PM, James Egan <jegan473(a)comcast.net> said:
>
> >It's part of the perl distribution, and is actually a symlink to
> >prename:
>
> It's a Perl built-in function in POSIX.pm, listed in perlfunc. I can't

The built-in is not in POSIX.pm, it's in the core (you can refer to it
as CORE::rename, if you must). POSIX.pm has a function

sub rename {
usage "rename(oldfilename, newfilename)" if @_ != 2;
CORE::rename($_[0], $_[1]);
}

presumably so that C programmers can just assume all the C functions are
in POSIX, without reading the docs.

> find a prename anywhere in the documentation, although it is defined
> in iperlsys.h.

The rename in question was a script shipped with 5005. It has since been
removed, but Debian have kept it on, while (for some reason) renaming it
to prename(1).

Ben