From: unruh on
On 2010-05-27, Tim Frink <plfriko(a)yahoo.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have to use an unprotected wireless network (it's not
> administrated by me). When I understand it correctly, using
> this WiFi is not safe since all data (such as passwords that
> I type on my console when I use ssh ...) is transfered unencrypted,
> i.e., it can be basically read by anyone.

The unencrypted link means that any unencrypted data sent over the link
is readable from outside ( web pages, etc) However, ssh traffic IS
encryptd and furthermore the password exchqange is encrypted. Thus if
you use ssh over an unencrypted loink the data cannot be read.

> Is there a way to use an unprotected WiFi in a safe way by transmitting
Yes.
Use ssh
or use a vpn

From: unruh on
On 2010-05-28, David Schwartz <davids(a)webmaster.com> wrote:
> On May 27, 6:09?pm, thunder <thunderTAKE...(a)gti.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm a little confused. ?I can understand your concern about "all data",
>> but not ssh. ?ssh is a "Secure Shell", and data *is* encrypted.
>
> He's concerned about his password. If a MITM hijacks his SSH

Unencrypted and MITM are almost orthogonal concepts. You can have MITM
with and encrypted connection, and have unencrypted connections wich are
resistant to MItm.

SSH encrypts all information going over the link. IF you use it properly
it is also resistant to MITM ( although it is amolst never uses
prpoerly-- people say to conect even if the system tells them that the
key has changed, because it changes too oftern due to innocent changes (
eg reinstallation)

From: unruh on
On 2010-05-28, Joe Pfeiffer <pfeiffer(a)cs.nmsu.edu> wrote:
> thunder <thunderTAKEOUT(a)gti.net> writes:
>
>> On Thu, 27 May 2010 22:25:00 +0000, Tim Frink wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have to use an unprotected wireless network (it's not administrated by
>>> me). When I understand it correctly, using this WiFi is not safe since
>>> all data (such as passwords that I type on my console when I use ssh
>>> ...) is transfered unencrypted, i.e., it can be basically read by
>>> anyone.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to use an unprotected WiFi in a safe way by transmitting
>>> all data in an encrypted way such that it can't be snooped?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Tim
>>
>> I'm a little confused. I can understand your concern about "all data",
>> but not ssh. ssh is a "Secure Shell", and data *is* encrypted.
>
> There's no encryption between his machine and the access point. If he
> does his own encryption (even ROT13 -- deliberately chosen as "little
> sister" security), it doesn't magically get unencrypted before going out
> the antenna.

ssh IS "his own encryption" An ssh session is encrypted from end to end
including between his machine and the access point.

From: David W. Hodgins on
On Fri, 28 May 2010 02:46:12 -0400, unruh <unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:

> ssh IS "his own encryption" An ssh session is encrypted from end to end
> including between his machine and the access point.

The ssh connection will only be encrypted after the session has been
established.

If he's using a passphrase, instead of public/private key encryption,
then he is susceptible to passphrase sniffing.

Use public/private key encryption.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

From: unruh on
On 2010-05-28, David W. Hodgins <dwhodgins(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 May 2010 02:46:12 -0400, unruh <unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>
>> ssh IS "his own encryption" An ssh session is encrypted from end to end
>> including between his machine and the access point.
>
> The ssh connection will only be encrypted after the session has been
> established.

False. The estabilshment of the key is also protected. A approaches B
and assuming that the two have shared a public key before hand, can
verify that B is actually the intended recipient. Then the two exchange
a key in a protected matter.

> If he's using a passphrase, instead of public/private key encryption,
> then he is susceptible to passphrase sniffing.

No he is not.

> Use public/private key encryption.

ssh always does use it to establish the session key.

The user public/private or passphrase key are not to establish encryption but to verify
that the user on B is the use allowed to log onto A. But by that time
encryption is established.