From: David Schwartz on
On May 28, 2:51 am, unruh <un...(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:

> False. The estabilshment of the key is also protected. A approaches B
> and assuming that the two have shared a public key before hand, can
> verify that B is actually the intended recipient. Then the two exchange
> a key in a protected matter.

This is true in theory, but unfortunately not always true in practice.
(See other places in the thread where the unfortunate reality of
constantly changing host keys has created the practice of ignoring
changed key warnings.)

DS
From: Robert Nichols on
On 05/28/2010 06:14 AM, David Schwartz wrote:
> On May 28, 2:51 am, unruh<un...(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>
>> False. The estabilshment of the key is also protected. A approaches B
>> and assuming that the two have shared a public key before hand, can
>> verify that B is actually the intended recipient. Then the two exchange
>> a key in a protected matter.
>
> This is true in theory, but unfortunately not always true in practice.
> (See other places in the thread where the unfortunate reality of
> constantly changing host keys has created the practice of ignoring
> changed key warnings.)

For someone who is in the habit of ignoring key change warnings,
concerns about unprotected WiFi should be the least of his worries.

From: Joe Pfeiffer on
unruh <unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> writes:

> On 2010-05-28, Joe Pfeiffer <pfeiffer(a)cs.nmsu.edu> wrote:
>> thunder <thunderTAKEOUT(a)gti.net> writes:

>>> I'm a little confused. I can understand your concern about "all data",
>>> but not ssh. ssh is a "Secure Shell", and data *is* encrypted.
>>
>> There's no encryption between his machine and the access point. If he
>> does his own encryption (even ROT13 -- deliberately chosen as "little
>> sister" security), it doesn't magically get unencrypted before going out
>> the antenna.
>
> ssh IS "his own encryption" An ssh session is encrypted from end to end
> including between his machine and the access point.

Didn't I say that in my next paragraph? There had been several
suggestions for ways to get an encrupted connection -- from Thunder's
response, it appeared he may have been confused about the relationship
between SSH and the unencrypted link. I was trying to clarify that
there is no relationship (which is also true of the other suggestions
people had made).

From: David Schwartz on
On May 28, 5:08 pm, Robert Nichols
<SEE_SIGNAT...(a)localhost.localdomain.invalid> wrote:

> For someone who is in the habit of ignoring key change warnings,
> concerns about unprotected WiFi should be the least of his worries.

I think that's a pretty ridiculous attitude. If nothing else, it
ignores the difference between blocking passive interception and
blocking active attacks. There are many circumstances where it is much
more important to block the latter than the former. (For example,
cases where one is legal and the other is not and you are much more
concerned by legal interception than illegal interception.)

DS
From: Robert Nichols on
On 05/29/2010 03:53 PM, David Schwartz wrote:
> On May 28, 5:08 pm, Robert Nichols
> <SEE_SIGNAT...(a)localhost.localdomain.invalid> wrote:
>
>> For someone who is in the habit of ignoring key change warnings,
>> concerns about unprotected WiFi should be the least of his worries.
>
> I think that's a pretty ridiculous attitude. If nothing else, it
> ignores the difference between blocking passive interception and
> blocking active attacks. There are many circumstances where it is much
> more important to block the latter than the former. (For example,
> cases where one is legal and the other is not and you are much more
> concerned by legal interception than illegal interception.)

Passive interception does not offer the opportunity to present a
fake host key that is a prerequisite for a MITM attack. The
design of the ssh protocol assumes that an eavesdropper is able
to monitor both sides of the conversation. If you know of a way
to crack an ssh connection by passive interception, I'm sure the
security community would be quite eager to hear about it.

Anyone is welcome to passively monitor my ssh connections at any
time, and that includes connections where I had no previous
knowledge of the remote system's public host key.