From: Tim Frink on
Hi,

I have to use an unprotected wireless network (it's not
administrated by me). When I understand it correctly, using
this WiFi is not safe since all data (such as passwords that
I type on my console when I use ssh ...) is transfered unencrypted,
i.e., it can be basically read by anyone.

Is there a way to use an unprotected WiFi in a safe way by transmitting
all data in an encrypted way such that it can't be snooped?

Best,
Tim
From: David Schwartz on
On May 27, 3:25 pm, Tim Frink <plfr...(a)yahoo.de> wrote:

> Is there a way to use an unprotected WiFi in a safe way by transmitting
> all data in an encrypted way such that it can't be snooped?

Yes, with a VPN. Comodo offers one or you can roll your own if you
have a good place to put a server for the other end.

DS
From: AZ Nomad on
On Thu, 27 May 2010 22:25:00 +0000 (UTC), Tim Frink <plfriko(a)yahoo.de> wrote:
>Hi,

>I have to use an unprotected wireless network (it's not
>administrated by me). When I understand it correctly, using
>this WiFi is not safe since all data (such as passwords that
>I type on my console when I use ssh ...) is transfered unencrypted,
>i.e., it can be basically read by anyone.

wrong
From: Maxwell Lol on
Tim Frink <plfriko(a)yahoo.de> writes:

> Is there a way to use an unprotected WiFi in a safe way by transmitting
> all data in an encrypted way such that it can't be snooped?

Well, https connections SHOULD be safe. Or at least some people will
say so.

However, there are many man-in-the-middle tools like sslstrip, midler,
etc. that allow an attacker to intercept https.

Would you be able to detect a faked certificate? Most people cannot.

So - in short - it's difficult - unless you set up a secure VPN to a
trusted host, and then tunnel everything through that VPN.

Well, I do use ssh on the command line. It will detect a
man-in-the-middle attack.
From: thunder on
On Thu, 27 May 2010 22:25:00 +0000, Tim Frink wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have to use an unprotected wireless network (it's not administrated by
> me). When I understand it correctly, using this WiFi is not safe since
> all data (such as passwords that I type on my console when I use ssh
> ...) is transfered unencrypted, i.e., it can be basically read by
> anyone.
>
> Is there a way to use an unprotected WiFi in a safe way by transmitting
> all data in an encrypted way such that it can't be snooped?
>
> Best,
> Tim

I'm a little confused. I can understand your concern about "all data",
but not ssh. ssh is a "Secure Shell", and data *is* encrypted.