From: Dave Peterson on
Debra Dalgleish has lots of notes on troubleshooting =vlookup():
http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html#Trouble

If that doesn't help, you'll want to share more details about wrong means.

--

Dave Peterson
From: Dave Peterson on
If your values are digits, then it's not enough to just change the format of the
cell. You'll have to change the entry, too.

There are ways of doing that, but you'll have to share more info.

--

Dave Peterson
From: tonyagrey on
Ok,
Sample from Column A of Cognos sheet
Acc No
656918
650095
646211
716733
716297

Sample from Column A of other sheet
524528
525036
551997
514710

?

--
Tony

From: JLatham on
This looks like the "numbers in one column, numbers as text in the other"
situation.

One way to 'fix' this is to make sure that all are numbers in both columns.
Start by formatting those columns as General. Then perform this operation on
both sheets, one at a time:
pick an unused cell and enter the number 1 into it. Chose that cell and
Copy it.
Select all of the account numbers in column A on that sheet and use:
Edit --> Paste Special and select the "Multiply" option and press [OK].

That will force the numbers-as-text to become real numbers.

You can clear out the cell that you entered the 1 into after you're done
with each sheet.

From: Pete_UK on
Here's some variations that you can try:

=VLOOKUP(A2&"",Cognos!$A$3:$J$763,2,FALSE)

and:

=VLOOKUP(A2*1,Cognos!$A$3:$J$763,2,FALSE)

The first one converts your lookup value in A2 into text to match with
text entries in column A of the Cognos sheet. The second one converts
A2 into a numeric value in case column A of the Cognos sheet is
treated as numbers.

Another common problem is that you might have spaces or non-breaking
space characters in column A of the Cognos sheet which you won't be
able to see. You will need to remove these in order to get exact
matches, or you could use a widcard character in the formula:

=VLOOKUP(A2&"*",Cognos!$A$3:$J$763,2,FALSE)

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Apr 23, 1:04 pm, tonyagrey <tonyag...(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Ok,
> Sample from Column A of Cognos sheet
> Acc No
> 656918
> 650095
> 646211
> 716733
> 716297
>
> Sample from Column A of other sheet
> 524528
> 525036
> 551997
> 514710
>
> ?
>
> --
> Tony
>

> "JLatham" wrote:
> > The formula is structured properly.  Typical reasons for "can't get the thing
> > to work" are:
> > you have numbers in column A, but numbers formatted as text on the Cognos
> > sheet column A or vice-versa;
> > you're comparing text and in one of the columns there may be added space
> > characters in front/behind the text that aren't on the other sheet;
> > the formula isn't being used properly - as the type of information to be
> > matched is not in the first column of the lookup table.
>
> > It would really help to know what kind of entries are in column A on both
> > sheets.
>
> > "tonyagrey" wrote:
>
> > > WHats wrong with this formaula? Cant get the thing to work
>
> > > =VLOOKUP(A2,Cognos!$A$3:$J$763,2,FALSE)
> > > --
> > > Tony- Hide quoted text -

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last