From: tonyagrey on
WHats wrong with this formula?
--
Tony
From: RonaldoOneNil on
There is nothing wrong with the formula, but without knowing what is in A2
and what is in your range A3:J763 and with your description 'Can't get the
thing to work' we cannot help further.
Check that the contents of cell A2 exists in column A on your Cognos sheet.

From: Jacob Skaria on
You formula is correct.

1. Currently what does that return...

2. Check whether A2 is available in A3:A763. If so check whether it is
spelled exactly same as that of cell A2. (without any extra spaces)

3. If A2 is not found the formula returns #NA error. If you are looking to
handle this then use ISNA() with IF() to handle this as below ...
=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A2,Cognos!$A$3:$J$763,2,0)),"",
VLOOKUP(A2,Cognos!$A$3:$J$763,2,FALSE))

--
Jacob (MVP - Excel)

From: JLatham on
The formula is structured properly. Typical reasons for "can't get the thing
to work" are:
you have numbers in column A, but numbers formatted as text on the Cognos
sheet column A or vice-versa;
you're comparing text and in one of the columns there may be added space
characters in front/behind the text that aren't on the other sheet;
the formula isn't being used properly - as the type of information to be
matched is not in the first column of the lookup table.

It would really help to know what kind of entries are in column A on both
sheets.

From: tonyagrey on
1. Currently returning #NA
2. A2 is definitely available i have manually checked it.
3. I have formatted the text in both sheets so that they are the same .

Still no luck. Any other suggestions?
--
Tony

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

> You formula is correct.
>
> 1. Currently what does that return...
>
> 2. Check whether A2 is available in A3:A763. If so check whether it is
> spelled exactly same as that of cell A2. (without any extra spaces)
>
> 3. If A2 is not found the formula returns #NA error. If you are looking to
> handle this then use ISNA() with IF() to handle this as below ...
> =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A2,Cognos!$A$3:$J$763,2,0)),"",
> VLOOKUP(A2,Cognos!$A$3:$J$763,2,FALSE))
>
> --
> Jacob (MVP - Excel)
>

> "tonyagrey" wrote:
>
> > WHats wrong with this formaula? Cant get the thing to work
> >
> > =VLOOKUP(A2,Cognos!$A$3:$J$763,2,FALSE)
> > --
> > Tony
 |  Next  |  Last