From: Michel Posseth [MCP] on

"Family Tree Mike" <FamilyTreeMike(a)ThisOldHouse.com> schreef in bericht
> On 5/1/2010 3:56 AM, Michel Posseth [MCP] wrote:
>> Mike ,,
>>
>> I wonder why you answer to a post in a VB.Net newsgroup and mention Java
>> , C# explicitly and not VB
>>

> Sorry, I thought I had implied that VB.Net was a valid, and only pointed
> out a couple of other languages that are just as valid.
>
> --
> Mike

Mike ,

To me that wasn`t clear , that is exactly the reasson why i mentioned it as
it looked like you diskwalified VB in favor of the other two
but i am happy that this is cleared up now , sometimes i get the feeling as
if C# evangelism is spreading through this newsgroup not that i have
anything against C#
i only have something against C# users who think that there language is
superior , cause that is just a mather of taste as i experience that in
some circumstances VB is the bether tool
as in this particular situation it definetly is . ( <sarcastic>unless the C#
coder lowers himself by setting a reference to the VB namespace
</sarcastic>)

regards

Michel

From: Michel Posseth [MCP] on

> On 5/1/2010 2:47 AM, Michel Posseth [MCP] wrote:
>> Hello Mark ,
>>
>> VB is an excellent tool for building financial applications as it has a
>> native financial module
>>
>> why would it be bether as other languages you would ask ,why would you
>> favor VB ?
>>
>> Well this has everything to do with the microsoft.visualbasic.dll as
>> this is the thing that makes
>> VB imho a more powerfull or call it easier to use tool as all other .Net
>> languages .
>>

> Your point is well taken, as I didn't realize the Excel like functions
> existed in that dll. My code background is in atmospheric modeling, not
> financial applications. The original question had to do with the value of
> VB.net in finance. I use VB.Net quite a bit, so don't think that I'm only
> promoting C#.
>
> It needs to be pointed out that your routine can be used in languages
> other than VB.Net. Your code translates quite well to C#, and you can
> reference the Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll from a C# project.
>
> --
> Mike

Mike

Our replies have both crossed , but if you look up in the three in my
reponse to you ( 14:09 )
i point to the fact that a C# ( or anny other .Net language ) can use the
handy functions in the vb namespace by setting a reference

O.T.
But for some ( strange ) reasson if i mention this in a non language related
group i am beeing atacked with all sorts of non arguments to do so
personally i have the idea that it is foolish to rewrite a function for wich
the framework already provides a built in one and as the VB namespace is
part of the framework
i can not figure out anny valid argument why a C# coder would write his own
( a lot of work , error prone , a lot slower in performance if it excatly
does the same )

regads

Michel

From: Tom Shelton on
On 2010-05-01, Cor Ligthert[MVP] <Notmyfirstname(a)planet.nl> wrote:
> Michel,
>
> I agree with every word you wrote in the messages currently in the thread,
> including about Cobol which had in fact no financial methods build in like
> Visual Basic has in all its dialects.
>
> Cobol was not a financial based program language, it was oriented on Common
> Business language (and then English) and therefore very much equal to Visual
> Basic, while the then opponent Fortran was based on algebraic notations
> (like now C#).
>
> Fortran was used very much less in large (especial banking) solutions then
> Cobol, which has been the main language from 1965 until somewhere around the
> millennium. Most financial persons are not really algebraic, they are
> natural language bound. (I am not aware which percentage of running large
> bank solutions are still Cobol).
>
> But tools are as good as the one(s) who uses those.
>
> Cor

It is my understanding that today, functional languages - such as OCamal - are
becomming the favored choice in the financial sector... Which is one of the
reasons we now have F# - basically OCamal.NET.

--
Tom Shelton