From: Mark on
Hello:

I work in Finance and have heard that VB.net is a very useful tool for
building financial models. Would anyone have an opinion? I am looking for
information related to the value of VB.net in Finance.

Thanks
--
Mark
From: Patrice on
> I work in Finance and have heard that VB.net is a very useful tool for
> building financial models. Would anyone have an opinion? I am looking for
> information related to the value of VB.net in Finance.

Do you mean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_finance ? As a
programming language allows to automate those computation then programming
could be interesting but you'll have to know first what to program...

--
Patrice

From: Family Tree Mike on
On 4/30/2010 4:23 PM, Mark wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I work in Finance and have heard that VB.net is a very useful tool for
> building financial models. Would anyone have an opinion? I am looking for
> information related to the value of VB.net in Finance.
>
> Thanks

A long time ago my brother, an accountant, was required to take COBOL.
That was the language all finance was done in...

These days, I think there are many languages that _could_ be used, such
as Java or C#. The choice is mostly developer preference (or some would
say bias).

--
Mike
From: Michel Posseth [MCP] on
Hello Mark ,

VB is an excellent tool for building financial applications as it has a
native financial module

why would it be bether as other languages you would ask ,why would you
favor VB ?

Well this has everything to do with the microsoft.visualbasic.dll as this is
the thing that makes
VB imho a more powerfull or call it easier to use tool as all other .Net
languages .

example :

This example uses the Pmt function to return the monthly payment for a loan
during a fixed period. Given are the interest percentage rate per period
(APR / 12), the total number of payments (TotPmts), the present value or
principal of the loan (PVal), the future value of the loan (FVal), and a
number that indicates whether the payment is due at the beginning or end of
the payment period (PayType).

Sub TestPMT()
Dim PVal, APR, Payment, TotPmts As Double
Dim PayType As DueDate
Dim Response As MsgBoxResult

' Define money format.
Dim Fmt As String = "###,###,##0.00"
' Usually 0 for a loan.
Dim FVal As Double = 0
PVal = CDbl(InputBox("How much do you want to borrow?"))
APR = CDbl(InputBox("What is the annual percentage rate of your loan?"))
If APR > 1 Then APR = APR / 100 ' Ensure proper form.
TotPmts = CDbl(InputBox("How many monthly payments will you make?"))
Response = MsgBox("Do you make payments at the end of month?",
MsgBoxStyle.YesNo)
If Response = MsgBoxResult.No Then
PayType = DueDate.BegOfPeriod
Else
PayType = DueDate.EndOfPeriod
End If
Payment = Pmt(APR / 12, TotPmts, -PVal, FVal, PayType)

MsgBox("Your payment will be " & Format(Payment, Fmt) & " per month.")
End Sub

This is just one of the manny manny examples of the
Microsoft.VisualBasic.Financial namespace
out of this box we have

Name Description
DDB Returns a Double specifying the depreciation of an asset for a specific
time period using the double-declining balance method or some other method
you specify.
Equals Overloaded. Determines whether two Object instances are equal.
(Inherited from Object.)
FV Returns a Double specifying the future value of an annuity based on
periodic, fixed payments and a fixed interest rate.
GetHashCode Serves as a hash function for a particular type. GetHashCode
is suitable for use in hashing algorithms and data structures like a hash
table. (Inherited from Object.)
GetType Gets the Type of the current instance. (Inherited from Object.)
IPmt Returns a Double specifying the interest payment for a given period of
an annuity based on periodic, fixed payments and a fixed interest rate.
IRR Returns a Double specifying the internal rate of return for a series of
periodic cash flows (payments and receipts).
MIRR Returns a Double specifying the modified internal rate of return for a
series of periodic cash flows (payments and receipts).
NPer Returns a Double specifying the number of periods for an annuity based
on periodic fixed payments and a fixed interest rate.
NPV Returns a Double specifying the net present value of an investment
based on a series of periodic cash flows (payments and receipts) and a
discount rate.
Pmt Returns a Double specifying the payment for an annuity based on
periodic, fixed payments and a fixed interest rate.
PPmt Returns a Double specifying the principal payment for a given period
of an annuity based on periodic fixed payments and a fixed interest rate.
PV Returns a Double specifying the present value of an annuity based on
periodic, fixed payments to be paid in the future and a fixed interest rate.
Rate Returns a Double specifying the interest rate per period for an
annuity.
ReferenceEquals Determines whether the specified Object instances are the
same instance. (Inherited from Object.)
SLN Returns a Double specifying the straight-line depreciation of an asset
for a single period.
SYD Returns a Double specifying the sum-of-years digits depreciation of an
asset for a specified period.
ToString Returns a String that represents the current Object. (Inherited
from Object.)

regards

Michel Posseth

From: Michel Posseth [MCP] on
Mike ,,

AFAIK

The main tool for brokers , accountants etc etc etc is a spreadsheet a.k
Excel that is why VBA is extended with lots of handy calculation methods
as VBA is the litle brother of VB,,,, VB6 also had these methods builtin as
VB.Net is the brother ( some may argue that ) of VB6 these same methods have
there place in the VB namespace
( and no not for compatibility purposes , just the simple fact that these
methods are part of the language VB wether .Net or not )

I wonder why you answer to a post in a VB.Net newsgroup and mention Java ,
C# explicitly and not VB

By the way i work at a "financial" related company and we have rewritten the
COBOL system to VB.Net , and found that the VB.Net version of the billing
system
was more acurate as the COBOL system in several occasions.

regards

Michel