From: Tym on
I have been tasked with re-developing an old VB3 app. I have vb4,6 and
2005.net

I do not have the original source code (long story) but have got a
decompiler which has created the necessary source files.

Problem 1 - the .frm files are binary. VB6 can't read them - but
vb4(16 bit) can. The idea is to get vb4 to create "proper" forms I can
then load into vb6 - don't know if this will work. If not - I'll have
to develope it in VB4 (sigh)

The program uses an old 2.? DAO to access an access 2 .mdb database so
I am reluctant to migrate this to ADO.NET - thinking of leaving it
with DAO on vb6 - its what I know best!

Problem 2 - the forms appear to have custom controls on them
VBX.SSFrame and the like. This is preventing the forms from loading
properly. IS ther a way I can recreate these, or download something
similar from somewhere and rename them???

I've obtained a copy of sswin.dll, but can't register it. Probably the
fact the regsvr32 can register 16 bit dlls??? DOn't know if that's
realted to the VBX.ss??? controls....?

Is there a way round this as I don't like to let customers down.

Tym

~There's no place like 127.0.0.1~
From: Paul Clement on

?
[...]

Unfortunately the original VBX files will be required, however they are not COM controls and do not
need to be registered.

It may be possible to replace their functionality with built-in controls (or third-party controls)
if you can identify what they do.

You may want to post a list of the files being used by the project.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
From: Tym on
On Tue, 23 May 2006 14:46:39 -0500, Paul Clement
<UseAdddressAtEndofMessage(a)swspectrum.com> wrote:

>Unfortunately the original VBX files will be required, however they are not COM controls and do not
>need to be registered.
>
>It may be possible to replace their functionality with built-in controls (or third-party controls)
>if you can identify what they do.
>
>You may want to post a list of the files being used by the project.

Hmm...

When I open the MAK file, in vb4, I am asked to upgrade the following
custom controls in the project to their newer versions:
CMDIALOG.VBX
CRYSTAL.VBX
MSCOMM.VBX
MSMASKED.VBX
THREED.VBX

The only one of these I have from the original archive is MSCOMM.VBX.
I have sourced the others though... not sure which directory to put
them in though - windows\system seems logical to me.

Then I get

"License fil for custom control not found..." for MSCOMM, Masked edit,
Sheridan 3-D Widgets/1.

When asked If I want to save the forms as VB4 I click OK FOR ALL

Then I get "Custom control 'VBX.SSFrame' not found"

etc etc...

However......

If I start a NEW project and add the controls I can design with
them... Odd...

I'm trying to start a blank projet and add the forms in manually, but
the VBX.SSxxxxx is still causing a problem.

Is this to do with the controls or sswin.dll?

Tym

~There's no place like 127.0.0.1~
From: Karl E. Peterson on
Tym wrote:
>> You may want to post a list of the files being used by the project.
>
> Hmm...
>
> When I open the MAK file, in vb4, I am asked to upgrade

That's the beauty of VB4, yeah.

> the following
> custom controls in the project to their newer versions:
> CMDIALOG.VBX

ComDlg16.ocx and/or ComDlg32.ocx

> CRYSTAL.VBX

crystl16.ocx and/or crystl32.ocx

> MSCOMM.VBX

mscomm16.ocx and/or mscomm32.ocx

> MSMASKED.VBX

msmask16.ocx and/or msmask32.ocx

> THREED.VBX

ThreeD.ocx and/or ThreeD32.ocx

Are we seeing a pattern here? <g> All of these shipped with VB4. I just
dug those names out of the VB4SETUP.INF file.

> The only one of these I have from the original archive is MSCOMM.VBX.
> I have sourced the others though... not sure which directory to put
> them in though - windows\system seems logical to me.

Yeah, put the 16-bit ones there, and the 32-bit ones in \system32

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22License+file+for+custom+control+not+found%22

--
Working without a .NET?
http://classicvb.org/

From: Ralph on

"Tym" <no_spam(a)ictis.net> wrote in message
> I have been tasked with re-developing an old VB3 app. I have vb4,6 and
> 2005.net
>
> I do not have the original source code (long story) but have got a
> decompiler which has created the necessary source files.
>
> Problem 1 - the .frm files are binary. VB6 can't read them - but
> vb4(16 bit) can. The idea is to get vb4 to create "proper" forms I can
> then load into vb6 - don't know if this will work. If not - I'll have
> to develope it in VB4 (sigh)
>
> The program uses an old 2.? DAO to access an access 2 .mdb database so
> I am reluctant to migrate this to ADO.NET - thinking of leaving it
> with DAO on vb6 - its what I know best!
>
> Problem 2 - the forms appear to have custom controls on them
> VBX.SSFrame and the like. This is preventing the forms from loading
> properly. IS ther a way I can recreate these, or download something
> similar from somewhere and rename them???
>
> I've obtained a copy of sswin.dll, but can't register it. Probably the
> fact the regsvr32 can register 16 bit dlls??? DOn't know if that's
> realted to the VBX.ss??? controls....?
>
> Is there a way round this as I don't like to let customers down.
>
> Tym
>
> ~There's no place like 127.0.0.1~

"The program uses an old 2.? DAO to access an access 2 .mdb database so I am
reluctant to migrate this to ADO.NET - thinking of leaving it with DAO on
vb6 - its what I know best!"

There is nothing wrong with sticking to DAO for an MSAccess database - there
are in fact advantages - especially if it is local.

Are you going to upgrade the MSAccess2 mdb files to something newer? There
is one cravat if you leave them as Jet2. Writing to or sharing a Jet 2
database with other versions of the Jet engine at the same time is
practically guaranteed to corrupt the database. (Actually there are only a
few small problem datatypes - so you might luck out - but few seldom do.
<g>)

-ralph