From: Bill McCarthy on
Hi Harvey,

"Harvey Triana" <harveytriana(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello-
>
> First, i enable PC Administrator
> Second, i follow
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/bill/archive/2004/07/14/10069.aspx
> Right. VB6 is installed on Windows 7 64-Bit

Cool :)
Also note if you have a MSDN subscription you can get a newer installer for
VB6 that doesn't try to install the Java runtime.

> Now i want to install SP6.
> -setupsp6.exe doesn't run (it is a 16 bit application, -isn't it?)
> -I try with rename sp698vbo.stf as acmsetup.stf, and run acmsetup.exe
> Works until message error: ... installer does not detect installed Visual
> Studio 6.0 products ...
>
> Sombody knows how to resolve this?

I had a similar problem, but fixed it by re-installing VB6. I seem to recall
some issue with the VB6 installer running again after an Office (or perhaps
VS install), and I guess that must have messed up the VB6 installation files
(probably the setup.stf). Anyway, doing a reinstall fixed the problem then
the service pack installs fine. Help about shows SP6, version 9872.

Also make sure you apply the latest cumulative update after SP6 ( especially
as SP6 introduced a couple of bugs)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=CB824E35-0403-45C4-9E41-459F0EB89E36&displaylang=en

From: MikeD on

"Bill McCarthy" <bill(a)localhost.com> wrote in message

> Also note if you have a MSDN subscription you can get a newer installer
> for VB6 that doesn't try to install the Java runtime.

Can you provide more info on this? I have not seen anything about a new
installer on MSDN Subscription. Is this an additional download that you
run instead of the "normal" Setup?

--
Mike

From: Bill McCarthy on
Hi Mike,

"MikeD" <nobody(a)nowhere.edu> wrote in message

> "Bill McCarthy" <bill(a)localhost.com> wrote in message
>
>> Also note if you have a MSDN subscription you can get a newer installer
>> for VB6 that doesn't try to install the Java runtime.
>
> Can you provide more info on this? I have not seen anything about a new
> installer on MSDN Subscription. Is this an additional download that you
> run instead of the "normal" Setup?

In the subscriber downloads you'll see the VB6 CD iso's. They are basically
the same as the original one EXCEPT all Java dependencies have been removed.
MS did that as part of their settlement with Sun some years ago.

From: MikeD on

> In the subscriber downloads you'll see the VB6 CD iso's. They are
> basically the same as the original one EXCEPT all Java dependencies have
> been removed. MS did that as part of their settlement with Sun some years
> ago.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess we're still stuck with using the
work-around for Visual Studio 6 installation, since they pulled that
completely from subscriber downloads? Do you happen to know if any MSDN
disc of Visual Studio 6 has the Java dependencies removed? I'm guessing not
since MS would have probably kept that in the downloads area, but it never
hurts to ask.

--
Mike

From: Nobody on
> I guess we're still stuck with using the work-around for Visual Studio 6
> installation, since they pulled that completely from subscriber downloads?

Yes. VS6 is no longer downloadable, but VB6 is.