From: David on
I'm hoping a DLL wrapper may be my solution?

Problem:
If a third party DLL resides on your system, can that DLL be accessed
remotely by the third party or call home when it wants?

Answer
Don't know. If it can do the above, would creating a DLL Wrapper solve the
problem?

If the DLL was contained within a directory that had no rights other
than to be accessed by the DLL Wrapper functions would this top access or
call home?.

Anyone have any idea if this will work???

From: C. Kevin Provance on
"David" <dw85745NOT(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
| I'm hoping a DLL wrapper may be my solution?
|
| Problem:
| If a third party DLL resides on your system, can that DLL be accessed
| remotely by the third party or call home when it wants?
|
| Answer
| Don't know. If it can do the above, would creating a DLL Wrapper solve
the
| problem?

Why would you want to do this? It's malware/spyware functionality, and I
doubt anyone is going to give a step by step on how to do this (and if they
do, shame on them).

Perhaps you could clarify when exactly you want to do, there could be other
less suspicious methods.

If I am misunderstanding you, then I apologize up front for the confusion.

From: David on
Mr. Provance:

A DLL wrapper was given as a possible solution to the following question I
posed:

================
I have two programs that maintain a real-time link to two different servers.
I am the client. Both server vendors provided API's in the form of DLL's
which reside on my machine.

I do Not know what's inside the DLL's other than the documentation provided
and my ability to look at the DLL function headers. Knowing the function
header and even the parameters IMHO are meaningless because a series of
functions can be coded
in different ways -- good (normal usage) or bad(malicious).

Question:

Since a real-time link is being maintained, is there anyway to keep my
programs (and the server DLL's) contained within a specific directory, such
that if the DLL has code which can be remotely manipulated by the server,
any server manipulation on my system is limited to the directory where the
my program resides?
===============

From: mayayana on
> Problem:
> If a third party DLL resides on your system, can that DLL be accessed
> remotely by the third party or call home when it wants?

Not "when it wants". It has to be loaded by
some process. But a process could load the
DLL and use it "when it wants". Microsoft does
that with their WGA spyware, calling home
to check whether they still think your Windows
install is "genuine". Other companies do it for
auto-updating.

> Answer
> Don't know. If it can do the above, would creating a DLL Wrapper solve
the
> problem?
>
> If the DLL was contained within a directory that had no rights other
> than to be accessed by the DLL Wrapper functions would this top access or
> call home?.

If your process has rights then any other
process with the same rights can load that
DLL. It sounds like what you really need is
a firewall...and maybe to figure a way to
end your dependency on a sleazeball DLL. :)

And as Kevin Provance said, you really haven't
explained the issue enough to make it clear.

From: David on
> Not "when it wants". It has to be loaded by
> some process.

I'm aware of this. My programs are loading and using the DLLs.
See my post prior to yours for further info.

"mayayana" <mayaXXyana(a)rcXXn.com> wrote in message
>> Problem:
>> If a third party DLL resides on your system, can that DLL be accessed
>> remotely by the third party or call home when it wants?
>>
> Not "when it wants". It has to be loaded by
> some process. But a process could load the
> DLL and use it "when it wants". Microsoft does
> that with their WGA spyware, calling home
> to check whether they still think your Windows
> install is "genuine". Other companies do it for
> auto-updating.
>

>> Answer
>> Don't know. If it can do the above, would creating a DLL Wrapper solve
> the
>> problem?
>>
>> If the DLL was contained within a directory that had no rights other
>> than to be accessed by the DLL Wrapper functions would this top access or
>> call home?.
>>

> If your process has rights then any other
> process with the same rights can load that
> DLL. It sounds like what you really need is
> a firewall...and maybe to figure a way to
> end your dependency on a sleazeball DLL. :)
>
> And as Kevin Provance said, you really haven't
> explained the issue enough to make it clear.
>

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: WMI to use or not to use
Next: VB6 on Windows 7 64-Bit