From: Bee on
(1)What is the downside of using WMI?
(2)Can I distribute the MS WMICORE or just suggest a user download WMI for
Win not having WMI like Win98 etc?
I would like to use some WMI calls in my VB6 App. Specifically to get
Serial Port information.
(3) If not WMI, then what APIs will give me Serial Port info?
(4)How do I check for WMI other that error trapping in a wrapper?

From: C. Kevin Provance on

"Bee" <Bee(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| (1)What is the downside of using WMI?
| (2)Can I distribute the MS WMICORE or just suggest a user download WMI for
| Win not having WMI like Win98 etc?
| I would like to use some WMI calls in my VB6 App. Specifically to get
| Serial Port information.
| (3) If not WMI, then what APIs will give me Serial Port info?
| (4)How do I check for WMI other that error trapping in a wrapper?

Have you tried Googling for some of this info? Or do you want someone here
to do it for you?

From: MikeD on

"Bee" <Bee(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> (1)What is the downside of using WMI?
> (2)Can I distribute the MS WMICORE or just suggest a user download WMI for
> Win not having WMI like Win98 etc?
> I would like to use some WMI calls in my VB6 App. Specifically to get
> Serial Port information.
> (3) If not WMI, then what APIs will give me Serial Port info?
> (4)How do I check for WMI other that error trapping in a wrapper?

I'm sure others will come along with better and/or more complete answers,
but I'll provide what I know.

1. As best as I know, the major downside to using WMI is that it might not
exist or be enabled, which means you can't use it. WMI is a Windows
service, and that service can be stopped or disabled. SysAdmins might do
this to lock down workstations.

2. I'm not sure about this, but I don't think it's available in any
redistributable form. It's a part of the Windows OS.

3. I believe you already got an answer to this in another thread. Or at
least a pointer in the right direction.

4. What's wrong with error trapping? Runtime errors are nothing more than
information for your app to use. You don't need to user a wrapper. Just
*temporarily* change your normal error handling to On Error Resume Next, try
to create the object, and then check if your object variable is Nothing.
That's by far the easiest way (and this goes for *any* object for which
there's a chance you might not be able to create that object).

--
Mike

From: mayayana on

> (1)What is the downside of using WMI?

Slow. Clunky. Poorly designed with tedious,
non-intuitive SQL syntax required. May not
be running/installed.
The SQL-like design provides ways to build
all sorts of different query variations, which is
interesting. But that same flexibility make WMI
very difficult to learn.

> (2)Can I distribute the MS WMICORE or just suggest a user download WMI for
> Win not having WMI like Win98 etc?

Yes. It's pre-installed starting with either 2000
or ME. I'm not certain 200 has it, but I know ME
does. On NT it runs as a service. On 9x it's set
to run at startup. On NT I've also found that it
requires DCOM Process Launcher service. So it's
the sort of thing that's likely to be up and running on
a corporate intranet but really *should* be disabled
on a stand-alone system where it's unlikely to be
used. Nevertheless, both services run by default,
so it should be commonly available.

I've used it a fair amount with scripting. It's mainly
useful as a scripting tool to supplement the WSH.
But I don't find it to be very useful except for getting
system info. (I actually disable it when I'm not using
it. I figure there's no sense leaving it running when there
could be a slight chance of security risk.)
The WMI Registry functions are a joke. The WMI software
product functions are just a partial, superfluous wrapper
around WindowsInstaller, which has a better COM interface
available directly.
It's mostly used by network admins who want to
manage a lot of machines with script.

> I would like to use some WMI calls in my VB6 App. Specifically to get
> Serial Port information.
> (3) If not WMI, then what APIs will give me Serial Port info?

I don't know about that, but it must be available. If it were
me I'd avoid WMI if at all possible.

> (4)How do I check for WMI other that error trapping in a wrapper?

Usually one uses GetObject. Something like:
Set WMI = GetObject("WinMgmts:")
It's easy enough to test whether that failed. (I think there's
also an early-bound interface and some sort of API version
of the functions, but I've never used those. As noted above,
WMI is mainly something handy to scripters who have a paucity
of other tools at their disposal.)

From: C. Kevin Provance on
"Bee" <Bee(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| (1)What is the downside of using WMI?
| (2)Can I distribute the MS WMICORE or just suggest a user download WMI for
| Win not having WMI like Win98 etc?
| I would like to use some WMI calls in my VB6 App. Specifically to get
| Serial Port information.
| (3) If not WMI, then what APIs will give me Serial Port info?
| (4)How do I check for WMI other that error trapping in a wrapper?

It sucks and I never and would never use it. I can do anything it does with
API...one way or the other.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: MSDN((VB6) won't install