From: Nobody on
"David" <dw85745NOT(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Question:
>
> Since a real-time link is being maintained, is there anyway to keep my
> programs (and the server DLL's) contained within a specific directory,
> such that if the DLL has code which can be remotely manipulated by the
> server, any server manipulation on my system is limited to the directory
> where the my program resides?
> ===============

What type of DLL is this? COM/ActiveX, or standard DLL? You can use
Dependency Walker to find out. Look for exported function
DllRegisterServer(). If you find it, then it's COM/ActiveX DLL.

From: David on
> You can't assign rights to a DLL. You can only assign them to users, so >
> you'd have to call the DLL functions from the context of a different user

No, the rights should go with the directory, and the user has / has not
rights to use that directory, The question remains, will calling a
wrapper dll or wrapper function -- that uses a dll that resides in a
restricted directory -- keep any manipulaton based on the dll that resides
in the restricted directory, contained within that restricted directory?

From: Nobody on
>> You can't assign rights to a DLL. You can only assign them to users, so >
>> you'd have to call the DLL functions from the context of a different user
>
> No, the rights should go with the directory, and the user has / has not
> rights to use that directory, The question remains, will calling a
> wrapper dll or wrapper function -- that uses a dll that resides in a
> restricted directory -- keep any manipulaton based on the dll that
> resides in the restricted directory, contained within that restricted
> directory?

No, you have to run the process that will use the DLL as a different user,
say VBUser, and set the permissions so that user only has access to that
specific folder. Also, in Windows 2000+, you can "sandbox" a target process
by using "Jobs". See my replies in this thread for details:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion/browse_thread/thread/e14776045607b79e/eea11416d755f147

Also, there are other things that you need to do if the third party DLL is
COM/ActiveX DLL, but you didn't answer my question, so I can't help you
further. COM/ActiveX DLL's can be run remotely. See the second parameter of
CreateObject Function for details. Windows usually use dllhost.exe to run
DLL's in this case. This can be secured by using "dcomcnfg" tool.

From: David on
Nobody:

Always appreciate your input. Doing a backup so little late in posting.

I have two programs of concern.
The first uses a Type Library dll.
The second uses an ActiveX dll.

Based on your comments will give it my best shot.
Not familiar with "dcomcnfg" tool -- yet.

Thanks again
David.

From: David on
Nobody:

Quick follow-up.

Went to MSDN. Regarding:

Windows usually use dllhost.exe to run
DLL's in this case. This can be secured by using "dcomcnfg" tool.

1)
It appears "dcomcnfg" is only available using the Enterprise Edition.
I'm using VB5 Pro Edition.

2) Note that I'm the Client trying to limit the servers capability.

"Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote in message
> "David" <dw85745NOT(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> You can't assign rights to a DLL. You can only assign them to users, so
>>> user
>>
>> No, the rights should go with the directory, and the user has / has not
>> rights to use that directory, The question remains, will calling a
>> wrapper dll or wrapper function -- that uses a dll that resides in a
>> restricted directory -- keep any manipulaton based on the dll that
>> resides in the restricted directory, contained within that restricted
>> directory?
>
> No, you have to run the process that will use the DLL as a different user,
> say VBUser, and set the permissions so that user only has access to that
> specific folder. Also, in Windows 2000+, you can "sandbox" a target
> process by using "Jobs". See my replies in this thread for details:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion/browse_thread/thread/e14776045607b79e/eea11416d755f147
>
> Also, there are other things that you need to do if the third party DLL is
> COM/ActiveX DLL, but you didn't answer my question, so I can't help you
> further. COM/ActiveX DLL's can be run remotely. See the second parameter
> of CreateObject Function for details. Windows usually use dllhost.exe to
> run DLL's in this case. This can be secured by using "dcomcnfg" tool.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: WMI to use or not to use
Next: VB6 on Windows 7 64-Bit