From: Nobody on
"David" <dw85745NOT(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Nobody:
>
> Quick follow-up.
>
> Went to MSDN. Regarding:
>
> Windows usually use dllhost.exe to run
> DLL's in this case. This can be secured by using "dcomcnfg" tool.
>
> 1)
> It appears "dcomcnfg" is only available using the Enterprise Edition.
> I'm using VB5 Pro Edition.
>
> 2) Note that I'm the Client trying to limit the servers capability.

dcomcnfg is part of the OS, even going back to Windows 95 with some OS
updates, it has nothing to do with VB. Unfortunately, in XP+ it's difficult
to use because you have to locate VB created components by GUID. When you
start dcomcnfg, go to Component Services-->Computers-->My Computer-->DCOM
Config. Locate the component by GUID(or name if available), and right click
and select Properties. From Security tab you can control if a component can
be launched remotely, and by what account if any. To see DCOM defaults for
the whole computer, right click "My Computer" and select Properties, then
check COM Security tab. I don't recommend that you change the defaults
unless you know how it impacts the system.

From: David on
OK. Found this which helps:

Article ID: 268550 - Last Review: July 15, 2004 - Revision: 1.2
How To Use Dcomcnfg for a Visual Basic DCOM Client/Server Application

From: David on
Per this article it appears dcomcnfg has problems recognizing dll's.

http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/26048

From: Ralph on
David wrote:

> I'm starting to get outside my confort zone (need to climb the
> learning curve on DCOM and OS Security)
>
> Any good books or suggestions on "easiest" way to learn this?

Ha. That would have been an easy question to answer 5/10 years ago. A tad
tougher today.

The final answer - there is no easy way. Google for the books that appear to
be of some interest, and start in.

Note that much of what was "DCOM" has been rolled into "COM+" and other
Windows services, but the name stuck in some contexts.

For a better grounding in "Security" issues - you have to learn how to be an
Administrator.

[Learn C/C++. The reason is simple, all in-depth articles and books will use
those languages. There are books and articles on how to utilize "DCOM"
services at a higher level, and there are also alternative strategies to
achieve similar results, but sooner or later to fully understand Windows
internals - you need c/c++. That is the language those people speak. That is
the language in which the services are implemented in.

You can download the VC++ compiler, libraries, and SDK for free, as an
Express or the beta version. You don't have to use the .Net Framework. Or
the VS.Net IDE.

Can you get by without it. Sure. Many do. But IMHO the easist route for a
programmer to learn the language of the Ghods. <g> ]

-ralph
[Now if anyone feels like flaming me for evangelizing VC. Don't botter. I'm
guility.]

From: Ralph on
Ralph wrote:

> [Now if anyone feels like flaming me for evangelizing VC. Don't
> botter. I'm guility.]

Or "bother". <g>

-ralph

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last