From: Sarah on
Ok so below is my main information on my summary spreadsheet and the due date
column is where I need the formula to pull in.

deal_num Instrument Type Due Date
20732 PWR-EXCH-FUT 9/29/2009
20733 PWR-EXCH-FUT 10/7/2009
20734 PWR-EXCH-FUT 7/2/2009
21607 PWR-PHYS 7/20/2010
21608 PWR-PHYS 7/20/2010

Here is the information from the Futures spreadsheet, so If the instrument
type from above is equal to PWR-EXCH-FUT, then lookup the associated deal
number on the Futures spreadsheet and pull the event date into due date
column above

deal_tracking_num event_date
20732 9/29/2009
20733 10/7/2009
20734 7/2/2009
20735 7/2/2009
20736 7/6/2009

And here is the information from the FX spreadsheet for the 2nd vlookup, so
If the instrument type from above is not equal to PWR-EXCH-FUT, then lookup
the associated deal number in the FX spreadsheet and pull the event date into
due date column above

deal_tracking_num event_date
21589 1/20/2011
21607 7/20/2010
21608 7/20/2010
21609 7/20/2010
21618 1/20/2011
21619 1/20/2011

From: Jacob Skaria on
Try

=IF(B3="PWRFUT",VLOOKUP(A3,FUT!A1:C20,2,0),VLOOKUP(A3,FX!A1:C20,2,0))

--
Jacob (MVP - Excel)

From: Sarah on
Hi Jacob - that formula pulls in the date for anything that is PWRFUT, but if
B3 does not equal that, then its not looking up on the FX sheet. Everything
that isnt PWRFUT is feeding in as N/A

From: Sarah on
Actually Jacob I adjusted it and it works now. Thanks so much for your help.

From: Eduardo on
Hi,
try

=IF(B1="PWR-EXCH-FUT",INDEX(FUT!$B$2:$B$20,MATCH(A1,FUT!$A$2:$A$20,0)),INDEX(FX!$B$2:$B$20,MATCH(A1,FX!$A$2:$A$20,0)))