From: Bo Berglund on
Are there any VM Additions available for VPC or VS that actually work
with *Ubuntu 8.0.4*?
I found additions for Linux in my VS2005 install folder but reading
the readme did not enlighten me as to weather it would work on Ubuntu,
and if so *how* one should go about doing the installation. RedHat is
mentioned but not Ubuntu.
(I am a Linux newbie....)

I want to accomplish the following:
- Time sync
- Support for mouse wheel
- Mouse pointer integration

Any ideas?

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: Mark Rae [MVP] on
"Bo Berglund" <boberglund(a)home.se> wrote in message

> Any ideas?

Largely depends why you want to do this. Are you specifically interested in
making the Virtual Server Linux Additions work on VPC running Ubuntu, or are
you trying to do this because you're interested in Linux itself?

If the latter, then do yourself a *huge* favour and download VMWare Player:
http://www.vmware.com/download/player/

Then download VMWare Ubuntu appliance:
http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/1224

Already has the VMWare Tools (their equivalent of Additions) installed.

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

From: Bo Berglund on
On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 10:35:50 +0100, "Mark Rae [MVP]"
<mark(a)markNOSPAMrae.net> wrote:

>"Bo Berglund" <boberglund(a)home.se> wrote in message
>
>> Any ideas?
>
>Largely depends why you want to do this. Are you specifically interested in
>making the Virtual Server Linux Additions work on VPC running Ubuntu, or are
>you trying to do this because you're interested in Linux itself?

I was going to explore Ubuntu as a flavour of Linux where there seems
to be a possibility to run Windows programs via Wine. But I am used to
having full functionality of the mouse inside the guest systems
(Windows) and also integration so i don't have to bother with the host
key to release the cursor. This is the reason for the VM Additions.

>If the latter, then do yourself a *huge* favour and download VMWare Player:
>http://www.vmware.com/download/player/
>
>Then download VMWare Ubuntu appliance:
>http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/1224
>
>Already has the VMWare Tools (their equivalent of Additions) installed.

Why didn't I think about this? I *have* a VMWare WorkStation 6 license
(I use it for a few Windows XP software development systems I do not
want to recreate every time I change laptop).
I'll download the appliance and check that out!

But I had moved a bit forward from when I posted. Google found this
for me:
http://www.aotk50.dsl.pipex.com/install-linux-vmadditions/install-linux-vm-additions.htm

However, when I reached the very last command:
sudo dpkg -i ./vmadd-full_2.0-2_i386.deb
I received the disappointing message:
"dpkg: status database area is locked by another process"
and it won't go forward. :-(
Really disappointing since this appartently was *the* command to
install the additions after I had done all of the preliminaries...

Next: go to VMWare!

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: Mark Rae [MVP] on

> I'll download the appliance and check that out!

I gave up fighting to get Ubuntu (and SuSE) working acceptably on VPC. I
acknowledge the efforts of people who have battled with this, but I have
better things to do. My only need for Linux is to test my web apps. So the
ability to download a pre-installed (and completely free) virtual machine
plus a free piece of software to run it was just the obvious thing to do.

The only thing I've still not managed to with the VMWare appliance is get
the mouse wheel to work. However, that functionality is almost unnecessary
in testing my web apps, so I haven't really spent much time struggling with
it...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

From: David Sanders on
Bo Berglund wrote:
> However, when I reached the very last command:
> sudo dpkg -i ./vmadd-full_2.0-2_i386.deb
> I received the disappointing message:
> "dpkg: status database area is locked by another process"
> and it won't go forward. :-(

You can have only one program accessing the apt database at a time.
Close synaptic or whatever you have open and try again. I don't have
the additions installed in my ubuntu vm so I don't know if it will work,
but you may find that it puts the mouse driver in the wrong folder and
even if it is in the right folder it may not work as it is written for
an earlier version of xfree86.